Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
lilbmam08
Registered Users
seller

Best Diapers for Hard Water???

I need help switching diapers...i think it's down to that! I currently have FuzziBunz which I've used for a couple years, used to have decent water but we've had very hard water for a bit now. Have used a couple different detergents, cap full of calgon, vinegar, I've stripped...
most recent routine after stripping is rinsing everything with sprayer immediately, then cold rinse, hot wash on medium (top loader 15 dipes) with a scoop of charlies a cap of calgon , double rinse. some of the poop dipes have been washed THREE times and still smell like poo, and the covers hold that smell more than the mf inserts...

SO...is there a better diaper i can use? something all natural? a different routine? brands? ANY help is greatly appreciated! tia!

(ps installing a water softener is not an option. )

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best Diapers for Hard Water???

I switched to natural fibers and SO much better. I did prefolds first, then switched to fitteds and wool to help with rashes. I liked Best Bottoms covers with Babykicks hemp prefolds.

As far as your wash routine, I would do the hot wash on large/heavy soiled/heavy duty/whatever you washer calls it. That way it will use the most water, even if you're only washing 15 diapers at once.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you tried bleach and/or a detergent with enzymes?

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
mamaspice
Registered Users

Flats are the easiest to get clean.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

flats or prefolds.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

A stronger more mainstream detergent and bleach. Or try all natural diapers or inserts.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have hard water and use flats with flip covers and bg elementals. I had to switch from Charlie's Soap to All F&C due to the hard water, but I have not had any stink issues since!

I do use superundies for my 5 year old at night and to keep the microfiber fiber from stinking by rinsing them in the morning, washing them with my regular diaper laundry and then washing them with my towels. If I don't follow those steps then they stink.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
lilbmam08
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
Have you tried bleach and/or a detergent with enzymes?
yeah before i stripped i got to the point of using bleach or oxy every time, tried tide, no luck yet. i can't use rockin green cuz it causes rashes on my boys.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ecosprout and Country Save/Bumgenius work well with my hard water. Rng sucks in my opinion. Warm water rinse work better than cold. Use more detergent not less for hard water. I use two scoops in my HE machine with Bumgenius. With Ecosprout I was using 6 tablespoons.

Last edited by kaydove; 01-10-2013 at 07:43 PM.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
lilbmam08
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydove View Post
I switched to natural fibers and SO much better. I did prefolds first, then switched to fitteds and wool to help with rashes. I liked Best Bottoms covers with Babykicks hemp prefolds.

As far as your wash routine, I would do the hot wash on large/heavy soiled/heavy duty/whatever you washer calls it. That way it will use the most water, even if you're only washing 15 diapers at once.
Still wash on large for regular top loader? not he. also it doesn't have options to change rinse temp. and for wash i have regular, super, or heavy duty regular and super.