Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattsMommy09 View Post

maybe their barracks were full? I know that they give precedence to single guys..... Maybe it was different there?

Idk?
I have no idea. He was against it from the get-go. Oh well. What's done is done. So sorry for the hijack.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

Advertisement

P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #22
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post

I have no idea. He was against it from the get-go. Oh well. What's done is done. So sorry for the hijack.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
It depends on the unit and if they are willing to fund it or if they can fund it. Some units don't approve it at all, and for most you need a good justification why your family can't move to where you're stationed. If you think about it, it's expensive for the military to pay room and board for a soldier and then pay rent for his whole family somewhere else.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #23
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Having a mini-stroke, please advise me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threekstrio View Post
could you buy or rent an RV to live in if you parked it at your grandparents? my friend did this with a 5th wheel. At least you/they would still have your own spaces. kwim? Then at the end of 18 months sell it. Stalk for a great deal on one and you should be able to sell it for more than you paid, or at least what you paid.
or maybe your dh could do this.
I was actually thinking this in the reverse. Cali is warm. Can you buy a trailer for DH and put it in an RV park (we have some nice ones around here). He can live there, a nice trailer with plenty of room for a single guy will run 5-10K or a decent older trailer around 2-3K. Then when he's done with it, you sell it. We did this for nine months when it was just DH and I and the dog and we got along just fine.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattsMommy09
OK the plan has been for me and the kids to move home in March so that I can finish my RN. We've already dropped $10k into it, and I'm only $4k from graduating, and if I can get any grants to help, that would be awesome. I can't finish my RN here in CA because of their budget crisis. Not only are they not really accepting new students, but they have a 3-4 year waiting list. Plus they want me to retake at least 4 classes and labs, which will cost my astronomical amounts. And honestly, retaking the classes plus childcare all while not being able to get into their nursing programs ANYWAY (we're military and only here 3-4 years) is just dumb.

So the original plan was : Dh stays in the barracks, i move home and get a house and thats it. We save $2000 a month for any problems and visits...

Butttttt.... they're remodeling the BEQ. It will only take 6 weeks (which in military terms is what, 6 months? lol) but those 6 weeks are *right* when we need tham, as soon as we put out the $$ to get me into a place. And I'm crunching numbers left and right, but i just don't know if its possible. An apartment HERE will run probably $1300+, and a small apartment back home will run $800. That takes all but $200 of his housing allowance. Plus we have utilities and groceries and gas and books.. and i just dont know if I can do it, thinking about needing to pay for visits for him to see us.... and ugh...

i know its only for like 2 months but what if it doesnt change? what if we're stuck paying for 2 apartments for the entire 18 months??

talk me down, please, before i have a nervous breakdown. We *just* got out of debt, i don't want to get back IN it?

We do have about $8k in savings as well, but that definitely wouldnt cover 3-6 months of seperate expenses...
Can he crash on a friends couch for a few weeks, paying only a few hundred for rent to cover any utility increases they may experience?
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #25
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Can he do a tent at a campground? A friend of mine family did that way back in high school when they were between houses. It was late summer and they camped for a month. I've camped for weeks at a time as well, and, while not ideal, it's not bad.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

The trailer and the camp out ideas sound FUN!!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Honestly if I were you...I would throw in the towel on finishing your degree right now. Your kids are only young once. I believe you said once you were done having kids? Enjoy this time as a family. Pick it back up when you are settled and the kids are in school.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #28
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Oh him getting a camper might be a good idea. We had a bunch of friends who did that which was in flight school. Their water was cheap as well as whatever they paid for their spot at the campground. That could save you quite a bit probably.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #29
WyattsMommy09
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz View Post
Honestly if I were you...I would throw in the towel on finishing your degree right now. Your kids are only young once. I believe you said once you were done having kids? Enjoy this time as a family. Pick it back up when you are settled and the kids are in school.
That isn't an option

I am :this close: to my RN, and if I put it off now I won't be able to go back for AT LEAST 10 years, since he's a military lifer. And by then I'll have to start from scratch, which wastes the $10k we have already paid into it. Plus I want my degree just in case we need the extra income as the kids get older, since they get expensive

And, besides having to live apart for a short time (18 months), now is the perfect time to go. I'll only be taking 1-2 classes a semester which gives me ample time to study AND spend time with the kids.

I've already put 5 years into this. I don't want to put anymore into it than I have to.
WyattsMommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #30
WyattsMommy09
Registered Users
seller

Like the camper idea, we'll definitely look into that. Also going to look into crashing on someones couch for the 2-3 weeks needed. Thanks you guys I'm not stressing SO hard now, LOL
WyattsMommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote