Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:
helping DC distinguish between d and b- any tips

DD is really struggling with telling the lower case d and b apart. Does anyone have any tips for teaching this?

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: helping DC distinguish between d and b- any tips

DS did the same thing. For a long time I had "Dd" written on our white board along with "Bb." When he'd get it wrong I'd say, "look at the board, which letter is that?" Seemed to work for him
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup. Have her hold both her hands in a thumbs up position. Turn the fits toward each other. Notice how the right hand looks like a d and the left a b. Touch the fists together. Now, you have what could be a bed. The headboard is left hand (b) and the foot board is the right hand (d). So... it is a bed made with your hands. The b is on the side where the b would be in the word and the d is at the end like in the word bed. Hopefully, that makes sense. My son is 7 and I still sometimes see him put his hands up. It works like a charm. You might be able to find this on google to see if you need to. I would find a link, but I need to leave.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-19-2013 at 03:58 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
3boys_mom
Registered Users

I was going to post the same as Heather...the bed thing...

b e d

If it helps her she/you can draw this on a piece of paper/whiteboard. If you do it the opposite way, you cannot make the bed.

d e b
Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
mamato2boyz
Formerly lyndibri
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
Yup. Have her hold both her hands in a thumbs up position. Turn the fits toward each other. Notice how the right hand looks like a d and the left a b. Touch the fists together. Now, you have what could be a bed. The headboard is left hand (b) and the foot board is the right hand (d). So... it is a bed made with your hands. The b is on the side where the b would be in the word and the d is at the end like in the word bed. Hopefully, that makes sense. My son is 7 and I still sometimes see him put his hands up. It works like a charm. You might be able to find this on google to see if you need to. I would find a link, but I need to leave.

Hope that helps!
I loooove this! I have been having this problem with my 7 year old for about a year. So glad I found this thread.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
mamabear678
Registered Users
seller

We are just starting The Spalding Method, and they talk about how when you make the B sound your mouth forms a line. I have my DD rub her finger across her lips when she makes the B sound to feel that it's a straight line. When you make the lower case b, you write the line first.

I do really like the bed thing, too!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post

Hope that helps!
LOVE this. Thank you. Nikolas has been struggling and I didn't know how to help him.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I teach my kids that a lowercase d cannot make a upper B, only the lowercase b can. So...if they can add the loop and can it a B.....than its a b.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

For my oldest, who got annoyed with herself, I'd say "D loves his daddy and Baby b runs away" as I drew Bb and Dd.

With my current 5yo, though, I just say, "whoops, that's a [whatever letter]" and he fixes it to the correct one.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeviolin
For my oldest, who got annoyed with herself, I'd say "D loves his daddy and Baby b runs away" as I drew Bb and Dd.

With my current 5yo, though, I just say, "whoops, that's a [whatever letter]" and he fixes it to the correct one.
Oh how things change as we have more children. I love the honestly in this.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote