Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Joining due date club/ Had to go in yesterday for false labor already

I have a history of prodromal labors. I was 4 cm dilated with Itsy for two weeks before she was finally born. Worst thing is that the false labors are indistinguishable from the actual labors. Well, I had been having regular contractions for about sixteen hours yesterday and finally decided to go in to be observed. Nothing going on yet, thank God, but it did give me a fright since I'm only 31 weeks along.

Anybody else have very painful and regular Braxton Hicks? Honestly, until I hit transition with both girls there was no way to tell if this was actual labor or yet another false one.

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Joining due date club/ Had to go in yesterday for false labor already

Agh! I'm the same way, mama, and you definitely have my sympathy (and prayers!). 4 cm for 5-14 days with three of our LO's.

I also agree about the transition contractions being the first REAL indicator that you're actually in labor. The BH go on for so long that it gets really tough trying to figure out when exactly you're really in labor. Not to mention the fact that DH and everyone else who's on call gets on edge waiting for you to figure out if you're actually in labor or not.

Hugs, mama!
supermomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermomof2 View Post
Agh! I'm the same way, mama, and you definitely have my sympathy (and prayers!). 4 cm for 5-14 days with three of our LO's.

I also agree about the transition contractions being the first REAL indicator that you're actually in labor. The BH go on for so long that it gets really tough trying to figure out when exactly you're really in labor. Not to mention the fact that DH and everyone else who's on call gets on edge waiting for you to figure out if you're actually in labor or not.

Hugs, mama!
Thanks! It's good to know that I'm not the only one. Everyone around here thinks I'm crazy and making it up (except my midwife, who is a real blessing).
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
snozzberry
Registered Users
seller

Oh man, that must be quite the ordeal!

I'm glad your midwife is supportive though.
snozzberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm definitely there with you Prodromal started at 26 weeks with #1, regular contractions 5 minutes apart, L&D nurses were rude about it saying I would 'know the difference' and acted like I was a baby who couldn't tolerate BH. When I switched to midwife care they took it VERY seriously, but I still didn't know for sure I was in labor until my water broke - and I had to go in to get that checked because I was so sure the contractions would be worse/different in active labor that I convinced myself I had peed the bed. 13 weeks of contractions 5 minutes apart, being "paper thin" and partially dilated. #2 I had shorter prodromal, maybe 6 weeks or so? but didn't recognize labor until transition, I did a self check because of loose bowels out of the blue and my sack was bulging, paged the midwife, she was born minutes later. It's already started this time too I've had to rely on cramp bark tincture a few times to mellow things out for me. I tend to walk around fully effaced VERY early on, and dilated to about a 3 several weeks before I had #2 as well.

You're definitely not crazy, it definitely sucks. And trying to judge the line of when to go in, call, etc. can be so stressful and frustrating. My midwives strongly encourage cramp bark for relief, and to page at the earliest sign of any change in symptoms, even if it's not a painful change. We are also preparing for another semi-unassisted birth, since I'm so horrible at recognizing the change until it's too late to go anywhere or get anyone to me. (My midwives drop off delivery equipment and emergency resuscitation gear etc at the home visit at 36 weeks, they will be instructing DH how to use it should need arise again).
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

i only experienced it last pregnancy (even though with my first i was dilated 3cm for a month or so, i didnt have ANY noticeable contractions-knowing i was dilated only served to frustrate me and make my OB induction-happy bc DD was 8 days "late". thankfully castor oil evicted her and i did get a natural birth, heh) , and im hoping to avoid it this time. it made things complicated for a few reasons besides it sucking so much...

1. i was so tired from contracting all night/day the 4 days prior to labor that i suffered from exhaustion during active labor

2. when i was finally in active labor, i knew but my midwife didnt believe me and didnt even want to come over! this put a wedge between us just when i needed her the most- it was my second midwife who believed me and came over to check me, finding i was 7cm.

3. when the midwife who didnt believe me showed up, my contractions stopped for an hour bc of my dramatic feelings about her being curt with me, the first time i realized how much the energy you feel about ppl can influence your labor!

4. at 10cm, my contractions died out bc of above mentioned exhaustion (and my son was malpositioned), leaving me with a head stuck between my legs for 4 hrs with panic setting in bc it was a homebirth and midwives were whispering about transfer. contrax finally resumed when i took homeopathy, ate cashews and yogurt and i finally got him out!! but all in all it was horrible.

no prodromal labor this time is my mantra!

Last edited by nettepoet; 03-31-2013 at 08:42 AM.
nettepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have it each time. Having it this time too.

:/ I'm right there with ya.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Although it's good to know that I'm not the only onbe, it makes me sad that all of you ladies have had to deal with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaethach View Post
I'm definitely there with you Prodromal started at 26 weeks with #1, regular contractions 5 minutes apart, L&D nurses were rude about it saying I would 'know the difference' and acted like I was a baby who couldn't tolerate BH.
Yes! They were less rude this last time, but with my first when they checked me they scratched me up and diagnosed me with a non-existent UTI (doctor did a follow up and found out there was no UTI, nor anything that could have caused it).

Quote:
We are also preparing for another semi-unassisted birth, since I'm so horrible at recognizing the change until it's too late to go anywhere or get anyone to me. (My midwives drop off delivery equipment and emergency resuscitation gear etc at the home visit at 36 weeks, they will be instructing DH how to use it should need arise again).
I'll have to look into cramp bark. My midwife actually spent the night twice with me with Itsy and she wasn't born until the third labor episode. I my midwife, but this time around she's no longer available. We've moved 2 hours away and she felt it would be too hard with my false labors to travel that far like she did last time. So now I'm stuck with a hospital birth because I haven't had time to find anyone I really trust like I trusted her and I'm not at all interested in an unassisted birth .

With both my other births the water did not break until after the baby crowned, so I don't even have that to indicate that I'm in real labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepoet View Post
i only experienced it last pregnancy (even though with my first i was dilated 3cm for a month or so, i didnt have ANY noticeable contractions-knowing i was dilated only served to frustrate me and make my OB induction-happy bc DD was 8 days "late". thankfully castor oil evicted her and i did get a natural birth, heh) , and im hoping to avoid it this time. it made things complicated for a few reasons besides it sucking so much...

1. i was so tired from contracting all night/day the 4 days prior to labor that i suffered from exhaustion during active labor

2. when i was finally in active labor, i knew but my midwife didnt believe me and didnt even want to come over! this put a wedge between us just when i needed her the most- it was my second midwife who believed me and came over to check me, finding i was 7cm.

3. when the midwife who didnt believe me showed up, my contractions stopped for an hour bc of my dramatic feelings about her being curt with me, the first time i realized how much the energy you feel about ppl can influence your labor!

4. at 10cm, my contractions died out bc of above mentioned exhaustion (and my son was malpositioned), leaving me with a head stuck between my legs for 4 hrs with panic setting in bc it was a homebirth and midwives were whispering about transfer. contrax finally resumed when i took homeopathy, ate cashews and yogurt and i finally got him out!! but all in all it was horrible.

no prodromal labor this time is my mantra!
Wow! I'm so sorry you had to deal with such a midwife. Mine has had enough experience that she knew stuff like this happens and took it seriously even though I was her client for the first time. I'm glad the birth ended up being okay though. Praying that it won't happen this time for you!

Since going into the hospital I've been focusing on drinking way more water (even though I had already been drinking plenty). I have noticed that helps and so does sleep, but when there's a toddler who still doesn't sleep through the night that's hard .

mamas!
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Definitely look into it. It's disgusting IMO but it helps a ton. When I had UTI/kidney problems and my body went into distress type preterm labor, it didn't help, because it couldn't resolve the other problems with my body. Other prodromal/preterm issues though it definitely does help with, and helped a ton with the afterbirth pains as well. I found cinnamon to mask the taste better than a lot of things, so having something like cinnamon sticks or snickerdoodles on hand for after things are calmed down helped me with the gagginess of it.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote