Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stocking your freezer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76 View Post

We grow a lot of our veggies, but also make weekly trips to the farmers markets. I usually blanch then freeze veggies, then put them in freezer bags.

I know that our church will probably offer to bring us meals, but we do have some dietary restrictions, so it's easier for us to have things ready.
you sound just like me...we dont eat wheat or dairy and we eat a lot of veggies, so having people bring things over gets problematic once we start listing our donts.

i went away to cambodia with my hubby this past august for a week (thus this baby! heh) and i froze things for my mom to feed our kiddos since she doesnt cook. veggie black bean and spinach enchiladas, lentil burgers, veggie lasagna with sheeps milk ricotta (YUMM), and all kinds of masala for her to add fresh veggies to in the pressure cooker to make aloo gobi, mushroom mutter, saag, etc. i made and froze dal which she just warmed up and served over cooked rice. i also marinated ground lamb meat with all the spices, garlic, onions, cilantro already in it for her to just pull out and make kebabs out of. definitely going to do the same plus more as i near my due date.

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
deely
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76

Would you mind sharing your meals list? I need more ideas!!!
Breakfast:
Pre-bagged smoothies (everything you need for an individual sized smoothie), frozen pancakes, waffles, 4 or 5 kinds of muffins, apple spiced oatmeal, French toast sticks, and baked eggs (scrambled eggs baked in the oven and cut into squares [I haven't made these before, but it's from the OAMM website, so I'm hoping it will turn out well])

Lunch:
Meatballs (for meatball subs and quick pasta with sauce meals), meat and veggie calzones, burgers and seasoned fries, chicken strips (to use cold as a topping for salad), sandwich bags (deli meat and cheese frozen in individual sizes) and 4 or 5 kinds of soup

Dinner:
A bunch of crockpot meals we like premeasured and bagged so they can just be defrosted in the fridge overnight and tossed in the crockpot
BBQ chicken pizza
Chicken broccoli rice casserole
Pulled pork
Gingery chicken with peaches
Chicken with lemon garlic green beans
Beef and veggie stirfry
Cooked and seasoned taco meat
Cilantro lime chicken with corn and black beans
(I still need a few more beef and pork recipes)
deely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
Ocean4Me
Registered Users
Formerly: ***ach

I want to do freezer and crockpot..need to clear out freezer first.Also plan to get a new crockpot..ours is a cheap brand and I recently read about lead in crockpots..now I'm afraid to use mine but not sure if a new one will be any better..they sure are handy though.
Ocean4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
sativa83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deely View Post

Dinner:
A bunch of crockpot meals we like premeasured and bagged so they can just be defrosted in the fridge overnight and tossed in the crockpot
)
What kind of recipes do you do this with?
sativa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #15
lfw802
Registered Users
seller

I found a ton of crock pot freezer recipes on Pinterest. They look awesome!!
lfw802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #16
deely
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybabies83

What kind of recipes do you do this with?
Basically anything. It's quick and easy. If you google "crockpot freezer meals" that will give you some good recipes and some inspiration!
deely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #17
sativa83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deely View Post
Basically anything. It's quick and easy. If you google "crockpot freezer meals" that will give you some good recipes and some inspiration!

Wow..I never thought about doing this

I googled and found quite a few I'd like to try
Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #18
elmojr
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm stocking my freezer and my cabinets with enough food for 3 months. I don't wanna haul 3 kids out to go grocery shopping. I am making sure I purchase a half a beef so we have enough meat to get us through the hard times of me not working.
elmojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Right now I've started freezing things like muffins (especially oat based ones for lactation help!) and sweet breads (pumpkin/banana). I'll probably bake and freeze some regular bread as well. Also planning to do prep for things like soup to freeze ahead, we'll freeze black bean burger patties, homemade buns, etc. DH does do some cooking as well and I plan to set aside a few extra $ for takeout or whatever as well the first couple days. Even things like waffles freeze well. Veggie sandwiches are easy to assemble even not feeling well, I might have hubby help put together some bento type boxes for kids' lunches when he does go back to work depending how our days go. My mom will be coming 1-2 weeks postpartum as well and is more than willing to cook while she's here.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
sativa83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When are you all starting to freeze things? Is it too early to start now?