Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
mizzStephylynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I really need encouragement

so, I have an induction scheduled for the morning, I am really scared. I would really like to avoid getting an epi as well as the spiral of interventions that often comes from the induction process. I don't hear much positive experiences of this though, so I'm really afraid of the contractions that I'll feel from the pitocin, I'm really scared that they will be too strong and it'll force me to want an epi. I'm almost fighting tears because i really wanted a natural birth in the birthing center but now I have to go to L&D and be induced for medical reasons. Anyone have encouragement for me?

Advertisement

mizzStephylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Madame Medina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I really need encouragement

I've never been in that situation but I'll be praying for you and your little one. Good Luck tomorrow.
The New Spring Catalog is HERE! For every $31 you spend in March get your choice of seven totes at 50% OFF! Thirty-One Gifts All DS mama's who host a catalog party with me earn DOUBLE in Free Hostess Credit. Looking to earn some extra money? Join my team in March and get your kit for FREE. Ask me how.
Madame Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Three of my births were with pitocin... And 2 of them were without epidurals. It can be done. Take it one contraction at a time and relax into them as much as you are able. Don't fight it or live in a state of tension. Relax and accept that this is what you're doing now. You can do it and you might even be able to do it with no pain meds. I'm sorry its not what you envisioned; it can still be great and at the end, you'll be holding your precious baby. Get some rest now. You've got some hard work to do tomorrow, mama.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

hugs. if it makes you feel better i had 3 kids thus far all spontaneous laBor & 2 with epi as natural stuff went into back (one back labor which was hiorrible with first). i did last one med free on natural contractions & my ob finished last 3 cm dialation by hand. i had pitocin after delivery & i know not same amount if starting but ididnt think it was so bad. only things though are if first baby then more chance for c section. sleep as with my first i got no sleep & many hrs later in labor i was exhausted by time delivery catually came. .

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 02-19-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: adding to thought
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzStephylynn
so, I have an induction scheduled for the morning, I am really scared. I would really like to avoid getting an epi as well as the spiral of interventions that often comes from the induction process. I don't hear much positive experiences of this though, so I'm really afraid of the contractions that I'll feel from the pitocin, I'm really scared that they will be too strong and it'll force me to want an epi. I'm almost fighting tears because i really wanted a natural birth in the birthing center but now I have to go to L&D and be induced for medical reasons. Anyone have encouragement for me?
I hope you're resting right now for tomorrow. But in case you're not. Here's my positive induction story. I was 41+5, 2cm dialated and 50% effaced. Dr stripped my membranes and sent me over to hospital to be induced. I had a looooot of anxiety because my first induction was not a positive experience.

The nurse put in a cervidil at about 11am and let me rest. I was having contractions that were regular and totally manageable. Dr started pit at 4 or 5 at the lowest dose. Again the contractions were regular but intense. The pit was never turned up.

At 9pm, dr said lets turn off the pit and start up in the morning. Well that was all I needed to kick start labor.

I had the baby at 4 am. 6 pushes, no tearing.

It was a great induction that was totally peaceful and I got great support from my dr and nursing staff.

Good luck.

My advice on the epi and pit is that it can be done. But there's no need to be a warrior. For my 1st induction, getting an epi kept me from having a c/s because I could relax. I got to 8 cm before I got an epi. My advice is to wait as long as possible to get one, be as active as you can and not to have water broken.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Every birth is different. Make the decisions you need to make for you and the baby and go with the flow. Express your preferences and then relax. A good birth is not just a certain type of birth (no meds, no intervention), but a birth where you and your decisions are respected at every point and you can make clam rational decisions without being pushed around. I have had everything from homebirths to inductions with an epi...and my 2 best births were one of each. I have also been at Cesareans that were "good births" Take a deep breathe, relax and let that baby out!

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had Pitocin with both of my labors and I really don't think Pitocin makes it any worse. My first labor was horrible and my second was a dream. No interventions at all until I chose the epidural at 8 cm because I wanted it in case I tore (I didn't). My labor was almost painless! Please don't be afraid, your fear may be worse than your labor and cause stress to your body (which WILL lengthen your labor and cause problems). You need to relax and think about one thing, your baby You are finally getting to meet them! Getting them here safely is what matters and they don't remember anyway. Forget anything scary you have heard and just go with it. I think a lot of us feel labor is one thing we cannot control and it bothers us. Therefore we try to control every minute detail and end up miserable because of it. Just show up prepared to work and take it one step at a time. If you get the epidural so what? You may be tired and it's your one comfort while pushing. If you don't need/want it, that's great too. Just relax, it's a very small portion of your life and you get a baby out of it!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My last was an induction. Poor positioning on her part was what made it difficult. I looked forward to having her in my arms and the next contraction was progress to that. I went through it med free. Good luck today!

Sent from my LS670 using DS Forum which thinks it's smarter then me.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
mizzStephylynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you ladies! I'm up and waiting for L&D to be ready for me to come in now. I tried really hard to sleep last night, that didn't go as well as I had hoped, but I at least laid in bed for almost 8 hours. maybe i'll be able to sleep at the hospital a bit before the contractions start. This is my first baby and I will be keeping the mantra that every contraction means he's closer to being in my arms, I plan to try to relax and not be afraid, if they keep me at a low dose of pit maybe the contractions wont be much worse than they would have been anyways. Trying to stay calm, and have DH here to keep me that way. thank you ladies for the encouragement!!!
mizzStephylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
mkrisel
Registered Users

I had an epi with both (both times I was exhausted and needed to sleep during labor-nothing to do with labor, just the fact that it was evening and I'd been at work all day). I was induced with my second and there were NO complications at all. Super short labor and delivery. Started pit at 8:00, born at 2:00. Hope all goes well for you!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote