Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Who said GMD flats edges always stayed flat?

Someone posted in a thread that the edges on their GMD flats never curled. Who said this, and how are you washing/drying? I just got 2 dozen for dgd and I'm not seeing that result.

Advertisement

greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who said GMD flats edges always stayed flat?

ive had dozens of GMD flats on and off for years and they always curl...
Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That just seems uncomfortable to me; that you'd have those curled edges doubled and tripled up where your baby has to lay on them.
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i just flatten them out as a i fold them. but after folding them it doesnt really matter if the edges are curled - unless you padfold.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
simplykarenp
Registered Users
seller
seller

I line dry my flats and while they are having I run my fingers along the edges to straighten them out and they dry flat. I don't have gmd flats, but this drying method works for my dr, osocozy and imagine bamboo flats. Annoying but it really only takes a second.
simplykarenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Ours quit doing that after awhile. The unbleached organic we got in 2011 do it far less than the Bleached 2010 did. Come to think of it, the 2010 unbleached mediums we use in the kitchen didn't ever curl either.

It bugged me at first then I got over it. Even in a pad fold its easy to minimize. And the pad fold I use (in my sig) nullifies bulk from both hemmed and curly edges.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was me who posted that. Then the next time I looked closely at them, there is one edge that curls some. I almost came back on to correct myself, but forgot.

The curling is super minimal. I bought them used. They're bleached older gmds. Maybe because they're older - different weave or style or something?? (I am no flat expert!) Or maybe the person before me did something to "train" the edges down??

I don't do anything special with mine. I use them for nite time only with my toddler. So, I rinse them in the sink in the morning and actually put them in with my regular laundry. Dry in the dryer.

I padfold in a diaper safari cover.

Sorry that this isn't helpful!!!
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Mine curl badly if I dry them in the dryer, but are so much better line dried. They are a good bit stiffer when line dried, but it's a trade off. I can either have soft diapers wit badly curled edges, or not so soft but flat
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know who said that, but mine don't curl. They're two or three years old though so maybe that makes a difference?
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a set of Large unbleached GMD flats that I bought on FSOT... I think they are an older set (they are 31" square). They lay almost perfectly flat... I wash in a FL'r and dry in the dryer on medium-high. I've had newer GMD flats (large, small, bleached, and unbleached) as well as DR flats and they all curled, so I tend to believe it has something to do with the flat itself rather than with the cleaning method...
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote