Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
bizybee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Evolution Homeschool curriculum

http://www.evolutionhomeschool.com/index.html

Has anyone heard of this? I was on FB yesterday and saw an ad for it, ya know, where they put the ads that are usually completely irrelevant, lol, so I clicked it. It's a secular homeschooling curriculum based on the Classical Method. I looked all over the website and didn't see how long it has been around, so I think it's new.

We are secular homeschoolers and I know that, although still in the minority, families like us are growing more numerous in the homeschooling community. Perhaps this curriculum is in response to that. It's sometimes hard to find school books that are not religiously based, so I'm pleased to see this, and it looks like a really good program. But it seems pretty expensive. Thoughts?

And no bashing, please. We all have our own beliefs.

Advertisement

bizybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Evolution Homeschool curriculum

I will admit I don't know anything about it though I am a secular homeschooler as well. There may be more info over at www.secularhomeschool.com They have reviews and a forum where you can ask questions. Also I wanted to say welcome to the board.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
bizybee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hey, great website! Thank you.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for posting this. It looks great but it is very pricey especially when you have 3 children like me. I am a believer and while I don't mind a religious based study, I have been looking for things a bit more secular and haven't been able to find too much that isn't overly religious. Definitely will keep this program in mind. The samples look great and easy to understand for the child.

Last edited by Luvingmy4boys; 02-20-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Luvingmy4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Actually, for a full box curriculum, the price isn't terrible, I didn't think. I know there are a lot of other programs that are as expensive. I didn't do a whole lot of looking through the site, as I'm not interested in changing, but I wonder how well you'd be able to use it with different ages, and if you have the option to buy pieces. That way you could have multiple children doing the same history and science, but still have math and language arts on individual levels. That should drive the cost down some.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
bizybee
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's a great idea that I hadn't thought of! I think I'll ask them if that's possible. I'm really interested in trying to buy this, but shelling out $1,000 for two kids when I'm used to spending about $300 is hard to wrap my head around.
I just have been worried that I'm missing things, important things, that they should be taught by doing a mish-mash of different books and curricula. I don't think they're behind, but still I worry and wonder what having a fully laid-out, already done for me curriculum would be like.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizybee View Post
That's a great idea that I hadn't thought of! I think I'll ask them if that's possible. I'm really interested in trying to buy this, but shelling out $1,000 for two kids when I'm used to spending about $300 is hard to wrap my head around.
I just have been worried that I'm missing things, important things, that they should be taught by doing a mish-mash of different books and curricula. I don't think they're behind, but still I worry and wonder what having a fully laid-out, already done for me curriculum would be like.
I poked through the site some and it looks like what they have done is assembled pieces of other curriculum in one place for you and then added a few things of their own. For example math is Singapore, Science is McGraw Hill and in many cases Grammar is things like Growing with Grammar and Winning with Writing. I don't know how much it would cost to buy these things independently and if this program is in line with that (or if the other things offered make it worth the price). I think what you have to ask yourself is if these programs are ones you would want to use with your child and if you are getting a better deal buying them all in one boxed curric or buying them piece by piece on your own. Is it worth it for the convenience of an all in one curric or would you rather make the choices on your own? It really isn't that much different than deciding you want to buy Math Mammoth, All About Reading, All About Spelling, Writing Strands, Mr Q Science and McGraw Hill History and call it done for the year (or whatever group of programs you think work for your child at whatever age your child is). But I guess the price tag on this is kind of bothering me. Oak Meadow sounded high to me and it was cheap by comparison. If I am going to pay that much I want a curriculum that is either completely customizable or actually created by the program in question. I can throw together a bunch of pieces on my own and do it far cheaper.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
Gaiaschild
Registered Users
seller

There was a thread at Secular Homeschool that discussed this:
http://www.secularhomeschool.com/hom...urriculum.html
Gaiaschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is the first I am hearing about it and will be honest... all I looked at was the first few seconds of the video on the main page. I was completely turned off when it looked like there was a large stack of textbooks and one open on the table. Ok, I am not against textbooks and am known to use some even, BUT that one laying open has no pictures, a ton of little print on the pages and looks sooooooo boring. I'm not sure that is their curriculum or not, and I'm not sure I will even take the time to go back and find out, but I from the tiny snippet I saw, I know my kids would have an all out fit over something so boring looking.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another thread on another board:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/to...is-curriculum/