Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:
Re: Evolution Homeschool curriculum

Yeah, the more I look at it, I can probably find those items cheaper separately and without a Lesson Plan, I don't think I'd be interested either.

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
bizybee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I appreciate the thread links to secular homeschool.

I do know that they compiled this curriculum from different sources, rather than creating one, and that's actually what I like about it. It's different curricula from different publishers and different perspectives. True, textbooks ARE boring. We only use them for language arts and math. I've never found textbooks for science or social studies that weren't a big yawn.

What I know is happening here is that I'm doubting myself and worrying about whether or not we're "on target" with their skills and learning. Oak Meadow IS cheaper by comparison, and I"ve looked into it as well. I dunno; I think I'm going through some sort of doubting myself phase, which I've never done before. My girls are in K and 2nd, basically, although in homeschooling terms, that doesn't mean much. My girl in K is starting reading, knows addition and subtraction, has mad skills with arts and crafts, and has a good knoweldge of science and nature for her age. So really, she's not behind.
My 2nd grader is reading novels, doing 4th grade math, is very keen on science and does well with it, and is smokin' on US geography facts, as well as being very accomplished with art (for her age). So, really, I know that they are both just fine. They also both have good "home ec" skills. If I were to get really sick and had to stay in bed, they could do all the cooking and cleaning for a few days. Really though, I think I'm grasping at straws here because I'm doubting myself. And it seems like an all-laid-out-and-ready-coinciding-with-standards curriculum would allow me to see if they ARE in line with what they are supposed to know. *sigh*
bizybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

As hard as it may be, try to not get caught up in what they are "supposed" to know. Not all public schools teach to the same standards, or in the same order of things. So long as they know what they need to know by the time they graduate, it doesn't really matter if they learned it in 1st grade or 5th grade. The only time it really matters would be if you know they are going into public school in the future.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
As hard as it may be, try to not get caught up in what they are "supposed" to know. Not all public schools teach to the same standards, or in the same order of things. So long as they know what they need to know by the time they graduate, it doesn't really matter if they learned it in 1st grade or 5th grade. The only time it really matters would be if you know they are going into public school in the future.
I completely agree.. and really if they are going to PS the only real things you need to make sure they are about "level" on is math and language arts. Science and social studies are easy topics for kids to jump in where ever and excel.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
bizybee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know you guys are right. I have no intention of sending them to PS. It would have to be a do or die situation before I would. Thanks, mamas!
bizybee is offline   Reply With Quote