Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any dairy free moms out there?

Just looking for support & tips/tricks! We've had to go dairy free and I'm going crazy!

My dd is 5 weeks old. Terrible gas, green & mucusy stools, lots of baby acne and silent reflux. Thinking they are all related to a dairy allergy. I've been dairy free for a week now. Hoping to see some changes very soon. It's so stinking hard. Just about everything I eat had dairy in it somehow! So frustrating.

Advertisement

MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
MrsHappyGoLucky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any dairy free moms out there?

I just started dairy free yesterday! My LO has all those same symptoms I also can't have chocolate or grapes b/c she's sensitive. Best dairy free cheese I've found is called Daiya. It's actually pretty good and soy free which is a big deal for me. I had to give away half of my pantry and fridge due to having dairy ingredients!

Could you use more energy, fewer health problems or take the guesswork out of nutrition? Try the all natural, whole food concentrate nutritional drink!
Ask me for a free sample! http://bjmitchell.zealforlife.com
MrsHappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I had to do this with DS3 who was uber sensitive. He had such awful excema from it too. I was able to eat goat's cheese which was my only savior. I could not have anything with dairy protein without there being huge issues. Hang in there mommas. It is just a season. My son can eat dairy now like it never happened.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
foolsgold
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have had to cut out dairy/soy/gluten for myself but once in a while I would cheat... since I am nursing I can't have any of that EVER because it messes with LO too.
Try Almond Milk in place of milk (you can cook with it like regular milk, just don't bring it to a boil) and check out Earth's Balance for a butter alternative (they have soy free stuff to, imo no one needs soy). As far as cheese I haven't found anything that works to replace it and I am a cheese hound! I LOVE cheese! Haven't had any in over 3 years.
ISO: Chubby Cherub AI2 Diapers!
Find BF'ing Ribbons here.
foolsgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
judyjudyjudy
Registered Users
seller

There are a lot of vegan recipes out there that replace dairy cream with cashew cream. It is really a great substitute for alfredo sauces or creamy soups. You can make it by soaking raw cashews in water and then blending the cashews with water in the blender. Add a little garlic salt and you have an easy alfredo.
judyjudyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm so close to quitting. She's still eating every two hours, I can't get rid of the painful gas for her, and I'm just feeling drained :-(

I know it takes a couple to a few weeks to get out of our systems but my goodness...I just want it to stop!!!

Another question, can y'all eat bread? I know some people who have cut out dairy have been able to eat it and others haven't even been able to eat a trace of bread. I love me a good pb&j sandwich so I hope the bread doesn't bother her.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm starting day 2 so hard with all this chocolate around the house! I'm glad I found this thread so helpful!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainmemphis
I'm starting day 2 so hard with all this chocolate around the house! I'm glad I found this thread so helpful!
I've heard that there are some dairy free chocolate chips...I was at Kroger last night and tried to look but my baby would not calm down so we just left. I saw it on the website www.milkfreekids.com. There's a whole list of dairy free things on there somewhere.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm dairy free and it's been very hard. I had to start when DD was about a month (she's a little over 2 months now) and yes, I was surrounded by chocolates, cheese and butter. My family is actually lactose intolerant, but we do well with processed milk. Unfortunately, DD does not with her little tummy.

DD would get super gassy (and boy, did it stink!) and she was also super fussy. Since I started back at work, I was running on about 3-4 hours sleep and I was getting burned out. I had no choice but to cut dairy, and this is coming from a mama who loves coffee with cream daily! And it wasn't hard after a few days because I realized I had to do it for my daughter.

I still eat bread, but I mostly eat rice and a SE Asian diet. Maybe trying foods from other ethnicities will help? SE Asians rarely have dairy. Also try almond milk or coconut milk instead of regular milk.

However, there can still be lots of foods that contain milk (like the bag of Funyuns I ate from the other day. Who knew Funyuns had milk?) so let me tell you a little secret. It's definitely my secret weapon and results in some fuss-less evenings for DD and me.

Start taking PROBIOTICS daily. I use Jarrow's from Whole Foods. Buy the refrigerated capsules (they can also be unrefrigerated if needed). Take it several times daily, but also, before you nurse, make a paste from it and put it on your nipple so your baby also gets it directly. Probiotics aid in digestion and will help so much better than the chemical gas drops. Gripe water didn't work for us, and after an expensive trip to a chiropractor who specializes in babies, she recommended probiotics and I saw a difference within a day!
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTooters View Post

I've heard that there are some dairy free chocolate chips...I was at Kroger last night and tried to look but my baby would not calm down so we just left. I saw it on the website www.milkfreekids.com. There's a whole list of dairy free things on there somewhere.
Thanks so much! I'm going to check that out.