Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #21
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinnoodlemama
I just want to encourage you not to give up on BF. It will get easier, I promise. I had a very rough start with my boy ten months ago, but we hung in there and had lots of help from great lactation consultants and my midwives. I absolutely love the BF relationship we have now. It's very special and nurturing for both of us! Plus I know he is getting the absolute best food that he can get right now.

Maybe check in your area for a La Leche League group to get extra support, or if there are any lactation clinics near you. The one I went to was free.

Good luck!
Thank you! I've now been dairy free for two weeks, 100% df for one week, and I can already see a change in her. We've used much less Colic Calm and haven't spent as much time working out gas while she screams.

Now we are just working on the green, watery stools. Praying its just the dairy leaving her system or a fore/hind milk imbalance.

Advertisement

MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any dairy free moms out there?

Keep in mind that sometimes babies with dairy problems also disagree with soy (which is a HUGE reason to keep breastfeeding...because formulas are all dairy or soy-based--learned this from hard experience with my first). If the green stools don't clear up in a couple weeks, and you've still got soy in your diet try cutting it out, too (you think dairy is in everything? try eliminating both!)
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaiya View Post
Keep in mind that sometimes babies with dairy problems also disagree with soy (which is a HUGE reason to keep breastfeeding...because formulas are all dairy or soy-based--learned this from hard experience with my first). If the green stools don't clear up in a couple weeks, and you've still got soy in your diet try cutting it out, too (you think dairy is in everything? try eliminating both!)
Yes, this was true with DD--she was sensitive to Dairy and Soy...which basically means you can't eat anything processed. Here are some of my favorite dairy and soy-free foods (note that they are mostly treats!):

Almond Milk
Rice Milk
Coconut Milk yogurt
Annie's chocolate chip granola bars
Enjoy Life chocolate bars and cookies and granola bars
Lara Bars (Chocolate Brownie and Cashew are my favorites)
Daiya cheese and shredded cheese
There are breads like the Ezekiel (some scripture verse) breads
Chocolate cheerios
Rush makes some frozen fruit bowls that are soy and dairy free
Manna Organics Breads
Wendy's Grilled Chicken Burger
Lindt makes one really super dark chocolate bar without dairy or soy

I found that the health food section was my friend. Also, lots of allergen-friendly items, including gluten-free items seem to also avoid other common allergens.

(MacDonald's fries have dairy in them, so watch out! Look for casein and any other dairy proteins. I had problems finding lunch meat or hot dogs without dairy ingredients. The good news is that most restaurant chains are very detailed online about what allergens are in their foods.)
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #24
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi mama, the PPs have good advice about possibly cutting out soy and other foods. Even though it can take weeks for dairy to clear, it sounds to me like there is something else going on. My LO is sensitive to almost everything and its really hard at first, but you find some foods and stick with them. May I suggest cutting out all dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, and nuts, at least for a few days as a test? I was dairy and soy free, but taking out wheat, nuts, and eggs fixed my LOs issues literally almost overnight. What can you eat? Rice, quinoa, bananas or other safe fruit, avocado, sunbutter, enjoy life chocolate chips , oatmeal, safe meats, etc. So Delicious coconut "ice cream" rocks. I also have to avoid most veggies and fruits, beans, potatoes, and do tomatoes in moderation. I can only get away with grass fed beef, and any stocks will wreck her gut for days. I hope your LO isn't as sensitive as mine, and you get it figured out! When it feels too hard, try to remember that hypoallergenic formula is expensive!

Also, the best advice I've read is to stay ahead of your hunger. It is super tempting to cheat if you're hungry.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote