Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Splitting twins in school

We just split up my boys in prek this year and one has started crying when I drop him off My boys have been together in preschool at this school for 2 years and went to daycare before that so I guess I'm just surprised this is happening now. Anyone else experience this and have any advice? I guess he is a little anxious without his twin.

Advertisement

Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
Formerly: unbreakableangel
seller

My Mood:
Re: Splitting twins in school

Why are you splitting them up?
ISO/IHA!
Reuben Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben Christopher
Why are you splitting them up?
Because they are fighting all the time at home,
and they will have to be split next year anyway I thought it may be better in a more familiar environment.

I think it will be better for them long term but I don't want to turn this into a debate about splitting up twins.
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
karikos
Registered Users
seller

My brother and sister are twins and my mom didn't separate them until they got into middle school (and at that point it was inevitable and natural, really, since they switch classrooms for every subject). My brother was really anxious when they were babies/young about being away from his twin so she didn't think it would be a good idea to separate them any earlier. She didn't want to add to the stress (and part of it was I don't think she liked the idea of them being apart, either).

They're much more independent of each other now and just sort of "separated" on their own. They don't have many (if any) of the same classes/interests since they're starting high school this year. They share some friends/classmates but also have their own friends. But when they were younger it was definitely better for the two of them (especially my brother) to be together up until middle school. Just from watching them, I think separation for twins is better when it's lead by them as they grow up and it's their decision.

I don't think it would be bad for them to be put together, if you can still do that, but that's your choice and what you want for them. I think it's pretty natural for twins that young to experience anxiety at being separated or for one to be more independent than the other and okay with being on their own. It'll probably just take some time for him to get used to the idea.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Not twins but my older two are 12 months apart. My younger had anxiety and would be MISERABLE without his brother. In the end we decided that his stress wasn't worth any benefit of having them "alone" so they did everything together. Naturally they have started taking up their own interests at nearly 10 and 11 but still do a LOT together which is what they both prefer.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

do you do activities just with one so they have each an identity or just share with both all activities? If you have seen Full house with the twins: to get one to zoo and one to ball game and do things separately so they can be happy together yet have an identity away from each other? They will eventually play together at recess at school even if not in same room.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons
do you do activities just with one so they have each an identity or just share with both all activities? If you have seen Full house with the twins: to get one to zoo and one to ball game and do things separately so they can be happy together yet have an identity away from each other? They will eventually play together at recess at school even if not in same room.
Yes we do this a lot
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I homeschool. So, it's a non-issue for us.

If you want them separate this year, I'd just keep going. He should get used to it.

Personally, I would probably keep them together until next year when they have to be split. Why force it if you don't need to, KWIM? I doubt they will fight with so many other kids around. Mine bicker (all my kids bicker) when it's just them, but they rarely do when other kids are around.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
mommmy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My twins aren't even 1 yet but I think it would be a good idea because if they are together I'm afraid they'll just keep to themselves and being in different classes will force them to play with diff kids, etc, so i'm sure its a great idea
Emily , SAHM to Ava (08/08), Connor (01/10), Adrian (01/11), Logan (12/11) , Hannah and Olivia (12/12) , and expecting #100
mommmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have twins, but my niece and my son would have gone to the same school this year and I would have split them up if I had any say just because i think they might distract each other too.