Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I need cheap lunch ideas for Hubby!

So my dh almost never takes his lunch to work unless I make it for him. Then he ends up stopping at a fast food restaurant on his way home because he is starving (he leaves at 5am and gets home at 6pm) I'm trying to cut costs, so I am going to start making his lunch every day. He is so so picky though. A few things he likes are egg salad sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, and some leftovers. I'm drawing a blank other than that though and I'm headed to the store this afternoon so I need to stock up on some stuff.

Advertisement

amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
WyattsMommy09
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need cheap lunch ideas for Hubby!

Well, what DOESN'T he like? Are there things he'll flat out refuse to take?
WyattsMommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh geez theres a lot! Well he is not a healthy eater at all. I've tried to fix that but I have given up. I cook healthy for the rest of us, but he is not. He doesn't like veggies. If I pack veggies, they come back uneaten. He won't take PB&J. He doesn't like soup I make soup once a week for dinner (he usually has a hot dog) and pack the leftovers for myself but he won't eat it. He does like yogurt so I made a huge batch of that last night. If I make like muffins and stuff he'll eat those. He doesn't like anything spicy, he basically likes hamburgers, steak, potatoes, etc.

On the weekends he always complains that there is 'nothing to eat' for lunch. the kids and I eat sandwiches or I make them mac and cheese or something, but I ask him what he wants and he will never tell me. He would eat like hot pockets, but they are so expensive.

Last edited by amyltc; 02-20-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Empanadas and pasties are easy to make, you can put whatever fillings he likes inside, and they can be frozen in batches.

If he likes rice, you could make rice bowls with veggies and meat on top, or musubi (like sushi) with lunch meat over a rice ball.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can make homemade "hot pockets" pretty easily and wrap and freeze. My dh likes burrito bowls. Cilantro lime rice, Barbacoa sweet pork, pinto beans and then toppings. I make the second two in the crock pot. Then I freeze them in containers and he takes them like a frozen dinners. You can also do burritos and freeze, both egg burritos and bean/cheese or meat burritos. What kind of restraunt food is he stopping to get?
I'm not a huge fan of sandwiches unless it's wraps, so I buy those Flat out wraps and put meat, cheese, lettuce and a fun salad dressing on them.
How about baked potatoes? You can also do those in the crockpot. Then top and he just needs to reheat in the container. You could top with bacon/cheese/onion or even chili. That's all I have right now because my husband eats anything I put in front of him so I"m not super used to being creative.

Last edited by slimy72; 02-20-2013 at 03:40 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lasagna is a good, full size meal that can be portioned and frozen. You can add meat to make it more filling. He could take hot dogs. My DH likes polish sausages or chicken sausages with a side of whatever veggies we eat for dinner the night before-- but maybe for your DH, apple sauce, yogurt or other fruit would be better.

Pocket pies and homemade hot pockets are a good choice. I used to do a loaf of bread, roll it flat and do pizza toppings or ham & cheese and then seal it shut and cut off slices. Broccoli, ham & cheese was super good too.

These are all things that can be done with homemade doughs to cut costs

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...es-111259.aspx

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...ps-112487.aspx

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...ups-54586.aspx

Calzones:
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...start=1&rsort=

Pitas and hummus (both are easy and relatively inexpensive to make from scratch).
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/pitabread

Last edited by AmberP; 02-20-2013 at 05:24 PM.
AmberP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

Costco has frozen burgers that you zap in the microwave. (I'm only thinking of cost here not of nutrition and don't know how delicious they would be)
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
drabekgirl
Registered Users

My Dh likes his hot dogs too. So I don't buy the cheap ones I buy the expensive kind. Boil up some water put it in a thermos drop in the cold hotdog pack the bun with catsup and be done with it. its still less than $1 for a hot dog.

U could freeze the sandwiches and than he can take them to work as desired.

will he eat fruit? how about a salad with meat on it? (my Dh loves salads w/o dressing so long as their are croutons) or a home made lunchable.

Dh is out from 5:30am-4 (used to be later), and they do need some nourishment even if its a few cookies you drop off.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
DoulainAK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Store bought hot pockets are still cheaper than fast food, especially if you buy them in bulk. I agree about hot dogs in a thermos, I pack that for my son sometimes. I send my hubby with leftovers. He is another one that will eat just about anything I serve, with the exception of a few healthy things like quinoa lol! Can you plan lunch extras as a part of your dinner? I do. If we are having hamburgers I make enough for there to be one or two for lunches, same with steak or fish etc. I have even sent 5layer dip and chips. Good luck!
DoulainAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! He is just sooo picky. I made taco souplast night, hoping to send leftovers with him, which is one soup he usually will eat but he said the tomatoes 'tasted funny' we ran out of home canned ones so I used store bought. He said to just get lunch meat and white bread and he'll take a sandwich every day. I would get so sick of that but whatever so I'm going to go buy a big pack of turkey at Costco tomorrow for him. I asked about preportioning lasagna and stuff and he turned up his nose at that, WTH? I think I might do it for me though.