Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post

Okay I have to know the history. Is this a civil war thing? or is it newer then that? And are you for states rights? Because if you are not, that would be rather comical. It is a very bold name. Finally, are you just hoping for a girl so you don't have to worry about this name?

Sorry for all of the questions but the only other name I have heard that was like this wasn't from this country. An asian student in my DH's grad school was Foo Lyn You (Foolin' You). I am probably spelling that wrong. Anyway, he got in trouble by the IRS because they thought it wasn't real. So he proved that it was his real name.
His family is from South Carolina & he is the III, but it actually goes back 4 generations because it was his great-grandfathers name but not his grandfather's. He actually knows a guy from Georgia with the same name (different last name). From what I have learned in all this, true southerners tend to be deeply attached to their heritage & express it in their name choices. Me? Not so much. I use what I like & if it happens to involve a family name great! But if I don't like something I'm not going to use it just to carry on tradition. DH is the love of my life, but I didn't marry him for his name & I told him that when I was prego with DS. I don't feel as strongly about his name this time around as I did with DS though. But I have decided he will be called SJ (States Junior) & not States. He's getting the full name like he wants so I get to choose what he goes by like I want. And since I love the movie The Blind Side (they called their son SJ), I am really ok with it being a boy. I actually wanted another boy before I got pregnant. Now, after 3 m/cs, I'm just thankful to be pregnant & would LOVE to have a States the IV!

Advertisement

leviandgarettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else have a name picked out for your baby?

Thank you for the explanation! And I don't think that it is just a southern thing to be proud of the heritage. My grandfather was born in Idaho and he was very quick to say that he was Norwegian. I am rather fanatical about me descending from 2 patriots (American Revolutionary War Vets) and a Red Coat (British soldier from the same war). So I get the heritage thing.

I hope you get your little SJ!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Thank you for the explanation! And I don't think that it is just a southern thing to be proud of the heritage. My grandfather was born in Idaho and he was very quick to say that he was Norwegian. I am rather fanatical about me descending from 2 patriots (American Revolutionary War Vets) and a Red Coat (British soldier from the same war). So I get the heritage thing.

I hope you get your little SJ!
Oh, I don't think it just applies to southerners either, but its definitely one of their stronger characteristics.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
omahamama731
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Elizabeth Marie, she'll go by Ellie

First name is my only sister's, my best friend's, and my mother-in-law's middle name.

Middle name is both mine and my mother's middle name, and my great-grandmother's first name.

This baby is our 4th (and probably our last), and my mom has been bugging me since my oldest (only girl) was a baby to use our middle name if I had another girl. My daughter is 6 & thinks it's silly that I'm letting grandma tell me what to do, and she wants her baby sister's middle name to be Scarlet. So....baby may have an honorary 2nd middle name
Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahamama731 View Post
Elizabeth Marie, she'll go by Ellie

First name is my only sister's, my best friend's, and my mother-in-law's middle name.

Middle name is both mine and my mother's middle name, and my great-grandmother's first name.

This baby is our 4th (and probably our last), and my mom has been bugging me since my oldest (only girl) was a baby to use our middle name if I had another girl. My daughter is 6 & thinks it's silly that I'm letting grandma tell me what to do, and she wants her baby sister's middle name to be Scarlet. So....baby may have an honorary 2nd middle name
My son has 2 middle names...Levi James Scott...DH wanted James after my dad, who he is really close to, but he also wanted Scott after his brother & it's my mom's maiden name...so we used both!

Last edited by leviandgarettsmom; 02-23-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Crosby Dean.

We watch Parenthood and fell in love with Crosby. Dean is my FIL middle name.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
simplyleah87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_brooke
Crosby Dean.

We watch Parenthood and fell in love with Crosby. Dean is my FIL middle name.

I LOVE parenthood
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
bonusround
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone else have a name picked out for your baby?

We like Everly, River, and Avery... All with the duel middle names Marie Emerson.

If we had to name her today, we would probably name her River Marie Emerson LastName.

I like Everly a lot, but it is a friend of mine's daughter's name, and I feel kind of bad using it...

Blogging about life at Living Life's Bonus Rounds.
bonusround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyleah87

I LOVE parenthood
So do we, Leah! And I love Crosby on there and realized I liked the name. We knew we wanted Dean as a middle name an it sounded good together!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusround
We like Everly, River, and Avery... All with the duel middle names Marie Emerson.

If we had to name her today, we would probably name her River Marie Emerson LastName.

I like Everly a lot, but it is a friend of mine's daughter's name, and I feel kind of bad using it...
I love Everly. It was on my girl list but girl names never even got discussed.