Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
If YOU handle the finances...

Does your DH ever get a wild hair up his behind and try to "fix" it and make it "easier"?? I have been handling the money pretty much since we got married. About a week ago DH asks me to send him my budgets and stuff. Ummmm. I don't use spreadsheets or anything, I put it all into my app. I do the whole month at one time. But I created a spreadsheet, just for him. It was really just a breakdown of what needs to be paid and when. I'm obviously doing something right since even with nearly no income, every single bill was paid on time. Now he's trying to make it into a fancy spreadsheet and break it down by week. It doesn't work that way though. Rent for example. No one check is enough to cover it. I have to use a couple from me and one from him. But he wants to break it down where $xx is set aside each week. I put in all the income and all the bills and then all the weekly cash stuff and anything leftover goes to the credit card. Why does he have to make it so complicated?? If it isn't broken, don't "fix" it!

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Re: If YOU handle the finances...

yep I just remind him that while I accept all input, I like my system the way it is
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitchell98 View Post
yep I just remind him that while I accept all input, I like my system the way it is
I'm trying to politely do the same thing. I don't want him to think I'm hiding anything from him. He is welcome to see it at any time and to know where everything goes. But there's not a chance I'm letting him change anything!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No - but I'd be happy to hand it over for a bit! 15 years I've been in sole control.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
DH handles all the money. Thank goodness! Sometimes I'm like your DH though!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

That would drive me crazy! Maybe ask him why he feels like it needs to be changed? Unless you are behind on things, or dont know where the money goes each month (fast food and other non necessary purchases)....leave well enough alone!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC
That would drive me crazy! Maybe ask him why he feels like it needs to be changed? Unless you are behind on things, or dont know where the money goes each month (fast food and other non necessary purchases)....leave well enough alone!
Every bill is paid on time or early. We each get an allowance and that's the only 'free' money
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No...I handle the finances, he doesn't want to be involved...which is hilarious as his degree is financial management, is super good at math and is all about the numbers, his dad is a cpa, DS2 is a math wiz too.....but he does not want to deal with money or bills.

It's very frustrating when one person handles the finances and then the other tries to butt in or questions. I feel if you are not in it 100% then you need to butt out. No point giving the odd glance at the books or questions when you feel like it and couldn't care less the rest of the time.

I think he over-complicates number related things so it would be a giant spreadsheet where I have my own methods, more simple.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses
Does your DH ever get a wild hair up his behind and try to "fix" it and make it "easier"?? I have been handling the money pretty much since we got married. About a week ago DH asks me to send him my budgets and stuff. Ummmm. I don't use spreadsheets or anything, I put it all into my app. I do the whole month at one time. But I created a spreadsheet, just for him. It was really just a breakdown of what needs to be paid and when. I'm obviously doing something right since even with nearly no income, every single bill was paid on time. Now he's trying to make it into a fancy spreadsheet and break it down by week. It doesn't work that way though. Rent for example. No one check is enough to cover it. I have to use a couple from me and one from him. But he wants to break it down where $xx is set aside each week. I put in all the income and all the bills and then all the weekly cash stuff and anything leftover goes to the credit card. Why does he have to make it so complicated?? If it isn't broken, don't "fix" it!
Oh my, that would drive me crazy. I don't think my DH would ever do that, thank goodness. I try to involve him with the finances, I think it's just responsible should something happen to me, then he won't have to worry about getting behind. But his eyes just glaze and he just nods and "uh-huh"s randomly when I try. He also fully admits he has no desire to handle the money. It stresses him to see bills, he doesn't realize how much things cost lol. But on the flip side, he doesnt even really know how much he makes. So he just wants to be told how much he gets when all is paid for
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Mine used to do that. He made a spreadsheet then never kept up with it and wondered why we barely made ends. I took over in Dec and put him on an allowance and suddenly oooh money! I need a budget on paper bc I have to do all the math myself....it just doesnt register when a machine does it for me.