Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Need help deciding on K math

I'm having such a hard time narrowing down math for K

I keep thinking, this is only Kindergarten, it should't be such a big deal, but there are just too many options. Pls. give me some insight to help straighten this out in my head.

I like Life of Fred b/c it looks fun, Singapore Essential b/c it looks solid and Miquon b/c it is unconventional and challenging.

1.I am afraid LOF won't be enough but not sure what to supplement with?
2. Singapore looks great, but I am not crazy about another workbook. my DD isn't big on wkbks either
3. Miquon looks fun and intriguing but intimidating to my math anxiety brain.

DH suggested getting a book of each to try, but I just read a review of LOF that says to keep it as a stand alone in the elementary years so the child does not get confused.

any thoughts on this? tia!

Advertisement

3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Need help deciding on K math

Me too! I have both LOF and Singapore and I'm still not satisfied! Math is my son's favorite so LOF isn't enough for him. I don't think it would be confusing to use LOF with another curriculum though. I'm kind of frustrated with Singapore but I feel compelled to stick with it. I'm still really mulling over Mathematical Reasoning...decisions, decisions! Maybe someone else will have the answers
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
I'm still really mulling over Mathematical Reasoning...decisions, decisions!
great, now you've given me another one to look at
what do you like about it, and why are you frustrated w/ singapore?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rugrats View Post
great, now you've given me another one to look at
what do you like about it, and why are you frustrated w/ singapore?
Haha, at least I won't be alone...my husband is sick of me talking about math curriculum! Mathematical Reasoning seems to really get the kids thinking of how to apply math and includes lots of logic. The MR K curriculum seems advanced for my DS. At the same time he's in Singapore K and it's silly how easy it is for him. I think the only reason I'm sticking with Singapore is because everyone talks about how great it is. Also, other moms on here say that it picks up in 1st grade so we're pushing through.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
croark
Registered Users
seller

We are using Math U See for K.

We used to use Horizons but I wasn't a fan of it. Seemed to be all over the place.

I personally love MUS though my dd only tolerates it. We just started supplementing with Christian Light Education 1 and the combo of the 2 has been a perfect fit. I plan to use MUS for the long term. I'll use CLE or another program only as needed.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We have used Math-U-See with all three of our children. It has worked well for us.

I suggest you look at your child's learning style before choosing.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post

I suggest you look at your child's learning style before choosing.
any tips for how to do this w/ a preschooler?
I know she loves starfall and pbskids games (problem solving). she could play those all day. she loves to do her own thing, very resistant when I suggest something where I am the "leader". Loves to create her own things--she will spend hours coloring/building/playing etc...when it comes to her own "thing" but though she can whiz through a wkbk page, she doesn't seem to enjoy seat work. I *think* she is kinestetic (sp)?

MUS looks alright to me...I like using the rods....but the videos look a little boring, is this true? also I think my DD is beyond primer. It seems a little slow, again...this is my assumption only after a cursory look.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use and LOVE McRuffy. It is very hands on and fun. My mathy kid devours it and my struggler is understanding math on her level thanks to McRuffy!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

We use MUS alpha for my K girl. I also do life of fred apples for fun on the side. The Primer of MUS I use for my kids when they are 4. My older DS did not start MUS until Beta (he had done lots of Kumon workbooks and Critical thinking mathematics books instead). My DS does great with MUS. My DD I am actually thinking of supplementing math for her with Saxon or another (math is not as easy to remember for her and she needs lots of practice to keep it in her head).
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rugrats View Post
any tips for how to do this w/ a preschooler?
I know she loves starfall and pbskids games (problem solving). she could play those all day. she loves to do her own thing, very resistant when I suggest something where I am the "leader". Loves to create her own things--she will spend hours coloring/building/playing etc...when it comes to her own "thing" but though she can whiz through a wkbk page, she doesn't seem to enjoy seat work. I *think* she is kinestetic (sp)?

MUS looks alright to me...I like using the rods....but the videos look a little boring, is this true? also I think my DD is beyond primer. It seems a little slow, again...this is my assumption only after a cursory look.
Sounds to me it is likely she is hands on. She may very possibly be above primer. I have one child that did primer in k, one that did alpha in k, and my youngest breezed through primer and is now about a third f the wy through alpha and she is k right now. We don't find the videos boring. At that level, they are really short anyway. I used them at that level more so I understood hw they were teaching something.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote