Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Need help deciding on K math

We've used Horizons math for 4 years, and it's working really well for us. My boys love the workbooks.

Busy homeschooling mama to my 3 cute kiddos

My cooking blog-
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

to respond to your initial suggestions, I am using singapore k essentials (we're at the end of B now) & miquon & I love it. DS is absolutely in-love with miquon (he calls it the math he likes...we use lots of tips for education unboxed) & I like the solid syllabus singapore math provides good luck.
Try Twice: & Thredup nice used women designer clothes! $10 off 1st purchase.
firstlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm a Singapore fan. We used it for K and I admit, I wasn't in love with K. I admit, we didn't even finish it. I really hesitated to go with it again for 1st. But, now in first, I do see what everyone is talking about with it having a strong mental math component to it. We are really enjoying it and I find myself even using some of the metal math that is included. I'm sure it isn't as hands on as some other programs, but if you buy the Home Instructor's Guide it really is. For K, if you get Essentials, it gives you hands on ideas and the concept to teach at the bottom of every page.

If I was planning to stick with Singapore, I would do K for the foundation. We moved quickly through most of it and I would suggest doing the same if it is below your child. It does pick up in book b and beyond. I wanted to make sure that we had the foundation and "whys" of everything rather than just skipping it completely. I'm glad we did that.

The reason we skipped the end is because we moved into first grade in everything else. I use a boxed curriculum that includes math. We tried the 1st grade math included and we wanted/needed more. So, we got Singapore 1a and b. He is going to finish 1a in about a week or so.

With my upcoming K'ers, we will use Singapore K Essentials again and finish it. I now see and understand the benefit and see why people like it so much. Hind sight is 20/20.

That isn't to say it's for everyone. Of course, one curriculum does not fit all, but I wanted to give my experience with Singapore.
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Registered Users

We used Singapore Essential Math and it was great, but my dd likes workbooks. Then I moved on to Math Mammoth 1A and it has not been great for us. I feel like dd needs more hands-on (MM can be, with Cuisenaire rods, but we need more variety), and possibly a spiral approach. I'm thinking of trying Kitchen Table Math for the rest of the year, and then we'll switch to Saxon 1 next year. I kinda wish we had done Saxon K for kindergarten. I hear it's awesome--very hands-on, no workbook at all, and lots of variety.
Adrienne, wife and lover to Andrew Mama to Simon (2/21/06 - 2/26/06), Norah (6/28/07), Ezra (5/11/10), and Phoebe (6/14/12).
NorahsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
Registered Users

I use Singapore Math for my 5 year old. We did Early Bird Kindergarten last year and he did great. It does pick up the pace later. We are doing 1A this year. I have the home instructor's guide, textbook and workbook for him. I think if you didn't want to do a lot of workbook pages you could just do the home instructor's guide and textbook. The text is a softcover book with full color pictures. The instructor's guide gives plenty of suggestions for hands on activities that you can do for each lesson. We usually do the hands on things first then look at the text book and then workbook pages. Actually I'm thinking I need to back off doing the workbook at much and do more hands on. I'm in my first year of homeschooling and been a little crazy about making sure I have tons of his work on paper so they can see what he does since you can't see hands on learning.
Ang- (MFS) Mommy to Joshua (7)- MFS & SPD and Samantha (4)
Support your body and health naturally with doTERRA essential oils.
Mommy2JandS is offline   Reply With Quote