Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
AngelTV83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Naming issues BLAH

So naming goes kinda like this, I make a list of any names I remotely like like and dh goes brought and pretty much vetoes everything g so I keep my option s pretty open. So we have do e his a couple times and dh got set on Athena Bay ( we all have A names) I really don't like it. Then Dh decides he likes Penelope for a first name which I had asked him what he thought of it a while ago and he said he liked it for a middle name but changed his mind. OOur general rule is no gender neutral names and no names with nicknames. He also likes Amelia which I use to like but I am not loving it. I told him to come up with names for me and he just says no he told me what he likes and I feel like I have to choose from those. It is really stressing me out. He always says I have he final say since I have to carry/give birth but he wants it to be from something he likes. Did I mention this really is making me crazy. Thanks for reading my rumblings vent

Advertisement

Due May 2013
AngelTV83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I read an article once about picking baby names and they had a really good idea. Both mom and dad make a list of names they like and put it in an open place that is easily seen, like on the fridge or something. Neither are allowed to veto. Just read through the names when ever you walk by, then a week or 2 (or more) later discuss the names. I find that sometimes you can't see yourself using a certain name or the name is so different than what you would pick that you don't even consider. So the more you hear it or see it the more you can make a real judgement about it.

Me and dh have never tried this specific excersise, but we don't veto right away. With dd I loved the name Matilda, and I brought it up every chance I could, even tho I knew dh didn't really like it. He had a boys name that I didn't really like either, but the more we each heard them the more we really did like them. Since I got to pick the name last time around dh is doing the choosing with this LO. I still brought some names to the table, but in the end he made the final decision. I did picked a boy and girl back up name just incase the other names don't fit, but I really do like the ones he chose.

It can be really hard when they really don't want to compromise.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
AngelTV83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the suggestion! I think I am feeling more pressure since we are living with my in-laws this go around and mil keeps telling me the name she and a lady from her work want us to use and fil is unemployed making me crazy in general. My dad just recently stopped calling daily to suggest names and wait for me to say yes or no.

Due May 2013
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My mom's like that, we've had our names picked out for months and she still brings new names up. She even asks my sister about girl names and she's expecting twin boys lol. Parents make things fun. :/
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
jennli15
Registered Users

Re: Naming issues BLAH

DH and I actually chose a name neither one of us LOVED but every time we would say it out loud it sounded right. I think it's a good idea to keep a list of names up and just live with them for a little while. Sometimes what you think you love ends up sounding ridiculous. Don't feel too pressured, you've still got time!
jennli15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

We each make a list and then trade, circling the names we like off of each others lists. We only had 3-4 overlaps, so that made things easy. We didn't do that this time around (MISTAKE) and it took us 3 months of discussing names to come up with a name we both liked.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I'm giggling but only because we deal with the same thing here. Now that we are on baby #4, my strategy is to avoid the convo until I'm in labor and remind him that the choice should be mine.

Manipulative? I call it pursuasive....

But in all seriousness, my biggest problem is that hubby like family names, and with all due respect, his family has the worst names in the history of creation. Second problem is that our last name is REALLY Italian, and all of the boy names he picks sound like gangsters when you add our last name.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
AngelTV83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESMama
Ok, I'm giggling but only because we deal with the same thing here. Now that we are on baby #4, my strategy is to avoid the convo until I'm in labor and remind him that the choice should be mine.

Manipulative? I call it pursuasive....

But in all seriousness, my biggest problem is that hubby like family names, and with all due respect, his family has the worst names in the history of creation. Second problem is that our last name is REALLY Italian, and all of the boy names he picks sound like gangsters when you add our last name.
Too funny!

Due May 2013