Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
SDJeannieZ3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pics please: longies "outfits" & some questions

I this *this close* to jumping feet first into wool which seems crazy to me, but I need a solid solution for my heavy-wetter & I'm hoping this is it...

... anyways, I guess I just don't think it's all that cute, but it seems really popular so maybe I'm missing something here. And I thought I read that if you put regular pants over a pull-on wool soaker that you will get compression leaks or something since it can't evaporate???

So tell me what you know about using soakers under clothing and making outfits to go with longies. Do you not use onsies anymore, just t-shirts? Where can you find baby shirts without matching pants?

And above all: Show me what your kids look like when you go out. Help me love wool.

Advertisement

SDJeannieZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pics please: longies "outfits" & some questions

Just a few

I think entire outfits are super cute, and fun to have, but mostly we don't always match with woolies because letting a 2 year old pick clothes out doesn't lead to matching often.

I've never used wool under clothing, just as clothing. I buy WAHM shirts when I find what I want, but do a lot of shopping at Kohls and buy the Jumping Beans shirts for cheap. I found a bunch last year to match our woolies there. I may have even taken the skeins of yarn in to the store to get good matches. We now use onesies at night because he has become a stripper. We just snap the buttons outside of his woolies to keep him dressed. I've also cut the bottoms off of onesies I really liked to make them shirts to go with woolies.

Last edited by MrsStripe; 02-08-2013 at 11:03 AM.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Longies took a while to grow on me. I found that I really loved a few colorways and that led me to love the longies but I am really picky.

For soakers - we use wool at night under Baby Gap jammies and they are fine, though occasionally if he has a really heavy peeing night the jammies will be slightly damp. The key to wool is the absorption of the diaper underneath. I tend to not love soakers under clothes during the day but a fitted under longies we do occasionally.

If you put a onesie over a fitted the onesie will soak up pee and saturate the baby entirely. This is why people use t-shirts or long-sleeved shirts.

For shirts - I buy solid color shirts all over the place or simple shirts. We had a Hungry Caterpillar set knitted up by Hooked by Carolyn and I have a shirt that has an apple with a bite taken out that matches perfectly. It was from Baby Gap. Nordstrom and American Apparel have tons of solids.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I will pull up pics when the kids lay down for nap

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
beccapope
Registered
seller

My Mood:

would you mind some spam? If you have a girl I have some gorgeous wool with matching tops for sale.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1484670
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
FriedaT
Registered Users
seller
seller

I thought crazy colorways in longies were hideous when I first started CDing. The more I looked the more I liked it and eventually we had to switch to 100% wool due to constant rashes. Now I'm slightly obsessed but fortunately (or unfortunately) don't have the funds to keep feeding that obsession.

I didn't start with wool until after DD was out of onesies but I've seen people snap onesies over wool. Just use a very absorbent diaper underneath and change often to prevent compression leaks. You can also just cut the bottom off of onesies. It won't fray if you don't want to hem it, the edge will just roll. I did that with a lot of onesies because I really just don't like snapping them.

I've never bought a set as I knit my own woolies, It's really not hard to match though. I buy the Disney shirts from Target and my MIL buys my DD tops from JCPenney's and Kohl's, occasionally Old Navy when she makes it out that far (an hour away). Sometimes they do come as a set in the store, we typically just don't use the bottoms in favor of wool. If I want to use the bottoms, I usually have to get those a size up to fit over a soaker, but I rarely do that as I think it looks bulky and odd. I also like wool shorties under dresses where I can see the cuff peeking out.

Attachment 133490

There's a soaker under these pajama pants

Attachment 133493

She also wore black and orange shirts with these

Attachment 133492

Red, black, and white tops with this skirty

Attachment 133494

A ton of her shirts went with these shorties because of all the colors in it

Attachment 133491

White, green, and brown usually with these. Sometimes purple and pink but it's hard to see all of the colors in the wool in this pic.

Attachment 133498

Yellow, orange, and white with these shorties.

Attachment 133504

This is today's outfit. Purple, black, and yellow with these. (The color is washed out, they're more "jewel" tones).

Last edited by FriedaT; 04-09-2013 at 07:16 AM.
FriedaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I may be able to post pics later. Right now I have my 2 yo niece my just turned 5 nephew, and my 20 month old. I am running off of 5 hours interrupted sleep.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't use wool as a diaper cover, per se, I just like it 'cause it's cute and the pants fit over fluffy butts better than regular pants. With my 3-month-old DD, I usually do onesies with them since she wears a onesie under everything. But I like wool over pockets/onesies 'cause if her diaper does leak, it doesn't get all over the place like it would with normal pants. Let me see if I can find some pics...

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #10