Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Negotiating Used Car Prices?

1990 something van was under $2000.00 here in midwest but depends on location. te3st drive & anything with issues definitely negotiate......good luck.

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

IME with dealerships there is always room for negotiating.... stop looking at retail - and look at trade in value for the van. That will give you a rough idea of what kinds of money they have tied up in it. And then you can probably negotiate somewhere inbetween those two numbers. The fact that they JUST got it works against you.... they deal more on cars that have been sitting.... BUT that doesn't mean they won't budge at all.

We are serious used car shoppers - no car is worth "paying" for. I got a 4yr old Sienna under 10K and DH just got a Tundra for 12K (LOW miles).... we just don't mess around with their "games".... DH actually really enjoys car shopping

Good luck....
Old 02-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
sara_hope
Registered Users
seller
seller

Most banks and dealerships around here use nada. If I can't get the dealership VERY close to the clean trade in value, I walk away. Besides your paying cash, so they won't have to do any loan paperwork or worry about a trade in either. Don't be afraid to leave and think about whatever offers have been made either.
sara_hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd try to get a few grand off. As PP said, it'll be harder now because everyone is eager to spend their tax refund.
I low ball them and if they don't counter with something reasonable, I walk away. Literally. I never tell them I need a vehicle, even if I do. I point out any and every issue I (or my mechanic DH) find. I don't tell them I'm paying cash until paperwork has began/price has been decided. If they ask, I skirt around the issue. Dealers count on interest money when selling vehicles.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well it sold yesterday :-/ maybe we'll wait a few months until tax season is over.