Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

1 of mine walked at 9 mo, 1 at 10, 2 at 11 and 1 at 12.( The almost 9 mo old is almost standing unassisted and has been cruising from furniture to furniture for about a mo).
The 3 that walked earliest are my most athletic but the other 2 are athletic as well, one just doesn't choose to be (when he was younger he was very into sports but now that he's a young adult he doesn't do anything like that).

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Early walker poll

My early walkers are still only 2, but they don't seem any more athletic than my olders who walked later. I walked early and I'm definitely not athletic.

So, yup, I'm saying I don't think it makes a lick of a difference.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most of mine are relatively early walkers, and, as far as I can tell, none of them are particularly athletic. I'm not sure I would know if they would be, however, since athleticism isn't something we specifically encourage in our home. They can run around outside and jump off the couch like nobody's business, but so far none of them have participated in organized sports.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

son walked at 9 1/2 month and hes not all that athletic. he likes to skateboard and play some football but otherwise hes just a normal kid who liked video games. hes 14
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
Not really. My son walked confidently at 10 months and was running shortly thereafter. Personally, I think walking early has more to do with the childs weight and the abilitly to carry their own weight. My guy was a lightweight at 10 months old.
My older daughter walked at 8 months, and she was a super chunk (almost 30 lbs), so I don't really think that is the case. She is now 5 and is pretty athletic, though it's kind of hard to tell because she is scared of trying new things.

My younger daughter walked at 9 months, and she's 2.5 now. It's hard to tell at this age, but she seems to be coordinated and athletic.

I started walking around a year old, and I am very athletic.

Last edited by rverrone11; 02-21-2013 at 10:52 PM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS walked at 10 mths. He loves to climb and seems strong/coordinated, but he is not "athletic". Now, he is only 3y7m, so that could change as he gets older, especially if we get him involved in more sports/activities. However, I doubt you'll find a correlation between walking age and athleticism.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #17
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest walked at 9 months. She is the least athletic child I know.
My middle child walked at 14 months. He is semi athletic. Loves to climb son e he could crawl.
My youngest walked at 11 months. As he is now only 20 months I have no idea what he will do.

I read an article that said the timing of sitting, crawling, and walking had more to do with the development of the myelin covering the nerve endings than it did with intelligence or future athletic skills. It has been like 8+ years since I read that article so may not be remembering it correctly though.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #18
7mom7
Registered Users

DS1- Walked 10 months...VERY athletic and coordinated. Could throw a spiral with a mini football at 3, can dribble basketball between his legs at 5, could dribble a soccer ball while running at age 2.

DS2- Walked at 15 months...not so great on a big wheel at age 3, not super coordinated on playgrounds, not really a type of kid that seeks adventure, can bounce a ball to you but not too great at catching one. The cutest little musician you've ever seen!

I think a lot of it has to do with personality...it sounds crazy but I felt like I knew their personalities before they were even born.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #19
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7
DS1- Walked 10 months...VERY athletic and coordinated. Could throw a spiral with a mini football at 3, can dribble basketball between his legs at 5, could dribble a soccer ball while running at age 2.

DS2- Walked at 15 months...not so great on a big wheel at age 3, not super coordinated on playgrounds, not really a type of kid that seeks adventure, can bounce a ball to you but not too great at catching one. The cutest little musician you've ever seen!

I think a lot of it has to do with personality...it sounds crazy but I felt like I knew their personalities before they were even born.
Not crazy. DS1 was crazy active in the womb. Like sporadic and all over the place. It is strongly suspected he has ADHD and we are having him evaluated next week. DS2 was laid back and slept a lot. He really only got active when he heard DS1. The ultra sound tech couldn't even wake him up. Now he is pretty chill, sleeps about 13-15 hours a day and gets super wound up when Ds1 is around.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #20
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My older walked at 10 months, my younger walked at 6 months. They are active, but I don't know if they are athletic