Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Oversupply? (Poop talk)

DD is 11 weeks old and is having some issues.

She had very foamy poops before Christmas and I did some block feeding, which seemed to resolve the problem. She went to perfect melted peanut butter consistency, yellow poops once or twice every day or two. Then she developed an infection, was hospitalized and had a week of IV antibiotics. Her gastrointestinal system was understandably upset. We did probiotics and that seemed to help.

She is still having explosive watery poops, though, and they went back to green yesterday. I think it's still oversupply. I was less careful about which side she was on once she was hospitilized because I wanted her to nurse whenever she felt she needed to, and she was too sick to want to work for it.

When she first latches, I have a strong letdown - she gulps and often sputters or chokes, and I have taken to pulling the nipple out and catching the fastest flow in a prefold. The side she isn't nursing on soaks a nursing pad.

The doctor mentioned dairy or other food sensitivity but I just don't know. For one, she had a great run after Christmas and my diet was the same. For another, she doesn't act like a baby with a sensitivity in my opinion - no mucus or blood in stool, no spitting up, no rashes. She does get VERY fussy at feeds sometimes and pulls off angrily, but as soon as she either gets a good amount of gas out or has some gripe water, she's good. Also, even after the fussiest feed, once she's off the breast she is no longer grumpy. Wouldn't she still be uncomfortable if it were an allergy?

She wakes to eat through the night (almost dream feeds) and just nurses laying alongside me as we cosleep, and she never has a problem then. Maybe because the position lets her allow the heavier flow to just fall out of her mouth?

So am I nuts? Is the doctor just gung-ho on elimination diets (he mentioned it when her poops went crazy RIGHT when antibiotics were started). Or am I being selfish not wanting to cut out dairy?

I had a similar issue with my son and cutting out foods did nothing but put tons of stress on us, and then our whole breastfeeding situation went to hell, so I'd rather not go down that road again without cause.

Advertisement

Last edited by Mommy to Eli and Baby#2; 02-21-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: Oversupply? (Poop talk)

So I am confused -- normal poop for an exclusively breastfed baby isn't so much like melted smooth peanut butter, it is like watery explosive poops. So if she is having watery explosive poops, that's normal. The foaming is probably more related to hindmilk/foremilk imbalance, especially if it's green. If the block feeding worked, you can try that again. Otherwise you may find feeding on one side per feed also helps the foaminess.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...oct95p69a.html

This doesn't sound like a sensitivity issue to something in your diet -- that does often come with mucus in the stool and possibly blood, like you mentioned.

And fun baby-poop pictures! http://www.breastfeedingmaterials.co...stfed-baby.jpg
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

By melted peanut butter, I mean less viscous than say mustard but more than water. Right now, her poops are so watery they absorb into the diaper almost like urine. It's literally like yellow or green tinted water. Is that normal?

The baby poop link showed poop that was liquid-y but stayed on the surface of the diaper under "watery". That's what she had before.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
birdinhand
Registered Users

So is her poop seedy? Because often just the seedy part stays whereyou can see it and the liquidy part gets absorbed. Even that is normal, not every baby has seedy poops. It doesn't trigger any alarm bells for me, especially if she is happy and gaining well. Breastmilk is so well absorbed there often isn't a lot that comes out, which is why some babies can go a week or two without even pooping and be perfectly healthy.

More than what your practitioner is advising, I would pay attention to your gut to see if you think this is a problem or not. For me, across the internet and on my own computer, it sounds like an "if it's not broke, don't fix it" issue, but granted it's not my baby and I don't know her at all whereas you have known her for 11 weeks + 9 months .
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
angilles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My LO had a dairy and soy sensitivity, and what you are describing sounds much more like oversupply or a strong letdown or both. IMHO just ignore the doc, you are not being selfish. maybe try more or different probiotics?
angilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

I'm trying the block feeding again so we will see how it goes. I've had her in disposables since the hospital stay because she's constantly pooping a bit while passin gas and the poop will give her a rash if it touches her skin (my kids both have inherited my VERY sensitive skin). So I have a good barrier cream and that's kept her from getting a rash. Yesterday, I put her back in cloth and changed her frequently but today her bum is sore looking again so back in disposables she goes. . I'm disappointed because I love her cloth but I don't want to ruin it with cream. My son had a similar issue with the cloth diapers. I think my kids do better in disposables but that makes me so sad. I wish she would poop less so I could try the cloth again.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had the same issue with dd, we did block feeding and I also had to eliminate dairy. I would give it a try.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

The only thing that makes me really hesitant to blame dairy is that my son had the exact same pooping issues and cleared up as soon as he started formula, which was not milk protein free. He went on a nursing strike at four months and basically never latched again. If I put him to the breast, he'd arch and scream and refuse to latch, but would happily take a bottle of pumped milk or formula. At that point, I had already tried eliminating dairy, soy and other "triggers". For about a month, I was basically living on chicken, steamed rice and veggies. It didn't help.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It was explained to me that the green poop was from too much lactose, so because I had the foremilk hindmilk imbalance the baby was getting too much lactose rich foremilk and for that same issue eliminating lactose from my diet might help. And as it turns out it did, I tried reintroduction dairy a few times and it would all come back. At around 8ish months I was able to have dairy again, but she still had the milk protien allergy until 13 months.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
ForevergreenOrganics
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have you ever tried squirting BM on babys rash? Are you drinking soy or any non dairy milk? My son gets a rash when i drink soy or almond milk.
ForevergreenOrganics is offline   Reply With Quote