Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What 'grade' is my child in??

When people ask this of my daughter -that's easy. She is in PS and in 6th grade. My 4yo on the other hand is HS and is technically doing first grade books. So what is the answer? I dunno. What do you say in this situation?

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What 'grade' is my child in??

id probably tell them hsi grade based on his age, since thats probably what they are inquiring about, not really what academic level hes at
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely do what "grade" based on age. At 4, I would say she is in pre-k. I have friends who pushed this more toward the work they were doing and they all regret it as the child gets a little older.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

IMO, a 4 year old isn't in a "grade". I would just say "He/she is 4." I have a 4 year old too. Even though my kid are at various grade levels, I answer this question based on what grade they would be in in public school.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
7mom7
Registered Users

Same here, "grade" is based on age not ability. I think it would really confuse my kids if we did it any other way because they are in sports and church with other kids their age. If someone asks specifics I'll say he's reading on a 1st grade "level." I hardly ever mention his "level" IRL because I don't want it to come across as bragging or being competitive.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
Same here, "grade" is based on age not ability. I think it would really confuse my kids if we did it any other way because they are in sports and church with other kids their age. If someone asks specifics I'll say he's reading on a 1st grade "level." I hardly ever mention his "level" IRL because I don't want it to come across as bragging or being competitive.
Yep, pretty much. The only one of my children that is a little confusing is my oldest because she has a late September birthday, so could easily be considered a couple different grades. She is actually listed more on ability than age, as so many school districts would have her a year behind where we have her.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

When asked this question, my DS replies with, "I'm in kindergarten, but I'm homeschooled." That prevents people from asking the 2 questions that would usually follow - "Oh, is there no school today?" or "What school do you go to?" We used to get that all the time, until he started adding that he is homeschooled. He is really tall for his age, too, and based on his birthday he would be in 1st grade in PS. Next year he will probably say 1sr grade, but honestly I will tell him he can say whatever grade he wants - it's not important, really. I suppose eventually he will get sick of the whole "grade" number and just tell people how old he is and that he is homeschooled.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote