Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

i need some encouragement!

I am breast feeding my almost 6 month old, the only time we try to bottle feed him is when i have an appt or date nights and he won't take it! My husband is now trying to get me to quit bfing, literally is guilting me about how it's affecting the family. None of my other family members breastfed over 1 month, so they are not supportive either! Idk what to do! I want to get to a year but it is becoming really hard when noone else can feed him and without support of my hubby!

Advertisement

sugardumplings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: i need some encouragement!

Tell your hubby to research it and back off. Breastfeeding is best for baby. Try a sippy cup. My LO would not take a bottle either. It was no big deal as no one else NEEDS to feed him but me. Go on a short date with DH to dinner. The baby will be fine without a bottle for 2-3 hours if nursed right before and then when you walk in the door.

Do not let other people's ignorance and jealousy of attention get in the way in doing what you know is best for your baby. Your baby comes first, not even DH. If mine was behaving that way I would tell him he could go out alone and I do not want to go out with him.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Try a different nipple, one for breastfed babies. Slow flow. And tell your husband he can help in other ways around the house so you can continue to nurse
Old 02-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van1300 View Post
Try a different nipple, one for breastfed babies. Slow flow. And tell your husband he can help in other ways around the house so you can continue to nurse
What kind do u suggest? I've been using avent
Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
Tell your hubby to research it and back off. Breastfeeding is best for baby. Try a sippy cup. My LO would not take a bottle either. It was no big deal as no one else NEEDS to feed him but me. Go on a short date with DH to dinner. The baby will be fine without a bottle for 2-3 hours if nursed right before and then when you walk in the door.

Do not let other people's ignorance and jealousy of attention get in the way in doing what you know is best for your baby. Your baby comes first, not even DH. If mine was behaving that way I would tell him he could go out alone and I do not want to go out with him.
Thank you! Breast feeding can be hard enough without other people trying to make me quit! I've told him I'm not quiting!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Your baby might like Tommee Tippee bottles. They somewhat mimic the boob. As for your DH I am not really getting why your DH seems to feel like it affects your family negatively, is he wanting you to go on vacation without the baby or something? This is such a short time, baby won't be breastfeeding forever so maybe he can see past his own desires and realize its not permanent.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
heynay01
Registered Users

RE: nipples that are similar to breastfeeding - The First Years BreastFlow and Medela Calma are what my IBCLC recommends. I don't know how they compare to the flow of a regular slow flow bottle nipple as I've never fed my son with one (regular nipple), but from what I understand they require the same tongue action and suction as they use when nursing. We actually used both the Calma and BreastFlow successfully to help my son get onto the breast (he was almost 4 weeks old before he'd latch).
heynay01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

Thank you mamas I will try those, ive heard of the tomee tippee so ill try that first! I think my hubby was referring to the fact that we can not leave the baby with a babysitter for more than a couple hours since he wont take the bottle. Actually had a date night last weekend and spent our whole dinner arguing about me quitting breast feeding because the sitter had called on our way in to say he wouldnt take the bottle. But we do date nights once a month or sometimes once every two months.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

6 months is old enough for a cup, also. If you just want a date night and you're okay with adding some solids, try leaving banana/yogurt...etc instead of milk if he won't take a bottle or a cup. It's just one or two feedings, so really not a big deal. That's what I started doing with my little guy. He just doesn't like to get milk n any form from someone else.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

We've actually started giving him baby food and sent some to the sitters last week, was only thing that even let us get thru dinner. Hubby also feels like I'm holding him back, that he should be able to hold his own bottle by now. I think the been7of breast milk are more important! Does anyone pump and feed daily? I'm thinking if i can bottle feed him 2-3 times a day that will help.