Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Camsmom13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question New mom advice please!

I'm 3 months in to breast feeding and Im having a few challenges reading my little guy's signs. How do I know when he's truly hungry? Sometimes I think he's hungry then when I give him the boob he screams bloody murder. Or he'll take the boob and pop on and off constantly. This morning I let him play for 2 hours, caught him rubbing his eyes, so I quickly changed his diaper, went to his quiet room and popped him on boob. Now he's asleep on me (and I have to pee). Are my days of TV watching while BF'ing over? Is it best to only offer the breast when he's sleepy at this stage? He's a very very aware and alert baby. Any insight from more experienced moms would be very welcome!

Advertisement

Camsmom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: New mom advice please!

sleepy or on caption for you're shows?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Camsmom13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
sleepy or on caption for you're shows?
Sorry, can you clarify?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is it possible he's gassy? My DD is a fussy eater when she's super gassy. Or is it possible your letdown is too fast, causing him to fuss?

I have found that after a super busy day, my DD will fuss and need some quiet time to nurse. Too much stimulation can cause major fussiness in babies.

I usually watch TV with the volume on low and captions on (I think that's what the pp was referring to) and that way, I am still able to nurse and entertain myself a bit. Or I just entertain myself on the ipad, with the volume down.

Babies will let you know when they're hungry, usually with a whimper or a cry. At this point, babies will still nurse every 2-3 hours. Sometimes I have to bounce on the bed a little bit to calm down my DD before she will accept the boob.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

He might just be tired and need some help falling asleep. For us, nursing to sleep only made problems worse and resulted in lack of sleep for everyone. We do a eat, wake, sleep cycle and that really helped us make sure he was nursing when hungry and sleeping when tired.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese
He might just be tired and need some help falling asleep. For us, nursing to sleep only made problems worse and resulted in lack of sleep for everyone. We do a eat, wake, sleep cycle and that really helped us make sure he was nursing when hungry and sleeping when tired.
We also did eat play sleep with both girls. This is outlined in the baby whisperer books. It really did help me learn to read their cues better. In other words:

Baby just woke up, so is not tired. Feed.
Baby just ate so is not hungry. Play.
Baby has been playing so is now tired. Sleep.

When they were really small this would be repeated through the day. As they got older it was the same routine with longer periods between cycles.

I know a lot of mamas love nursing to sleep but for me it just caused so many sleep issues. I helped them get to sleep by patting and rubbing or whatever else they needed, but once I stopped nursing to sleep and got on a predictable routine i found a lot I nursing and sleep issues disappeared :-)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Camsmom13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! I like the idea of structure but I will continue to nurse to sleep for now since sleeping isn't his problem. He does his nights now with one maybe two wakes ups and is usually out by 7:30pm. I think I may have been offering the boob when all he wanted was a different activity? Or a burp. Lol. yesterday was a gassy day... I gave him some formula midday and he got sleepy then upset. (I'm reducing slowly the formula supplementation - we aren't doing much at all but would like it gone - I had a breast reduction years ago and there's always the fear that my miracle boobs can't keep up but they keep surprising me). Also will try more structure and a quieter feeding time. Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
2btwinmama
Registered Users
seller

One of my twins has this same problem. She screams and screams and when I try to nurse she wont eat. I have found that this is usually when she is tired and needs a break from stimulation and we head for nap time.
2btwinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I would offer the boob constantly even is he is fussy and pops on and off. Could be a growth spurt and this is when I was able to get my LO to stop supplimenting with formula.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
birch0902
Registered Users

He is probably going through a growth spurt. My now 4.5 month old went through exactly the same thing. Always popping on and off. He kept looking around, looking up at me too and then would go back to the breast. After a couple of weeks it got better.
birch0902 is offline   Reply With Quote