Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
PumpkinPie
Registered Users

Re: Six year old bed wetter dipe?

What do you think the max time I could let them sit for before washing? I generally only do one hot wash load per week. Would a week work? I am thinking I will likely end up running the washer with just 2-3 pull ups in it at least once per week and then throw them in again with the sheets/towels. Can they be hand washed? Sorry for so many questions, but thanks for all of the suggestions so far!

Advertisement

PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

Rearz XL Smittens... they are on GreenBabyBargains.com today! They are a fitted diaper with a pocket that you can stuff for extra absorbency. You'll need to find an XL cover to go with them.
rainbowgirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
PumpkinPie
Registered Users

Also if I make my own, does anyone have any suggestions for what material for the inner layer against his skin?
PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 6yo is in ToddleEase stuffed with a prefold, and a hemp insert, under a Disana cover. His diaper is usually super soaked every morning.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
McDMom
Registered Users

Superundies overnights!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPie View Post
How do you wash them? I am thinking detergent build up is what started causing his rashes, but it seemed a little silly to wash a separate load every other day with just two pull ups so I threw them in with our laundry. I am guessing I should have hand washed them? I would love to make something else but I worry that they will make him rashy again. Could the microfiber have caused the rash even though it was stuffed inside?
It could have been the wet flannel inner that irritated his skin too. If you liked the pullups you made for him before, maybe you could try making a pair with fleece inside. I know my kids can't handle wetness on their skin overnight.
If you aren't doing a full load of diaper laundry, I would just give them a good rinse and wring them out every morning, then add them to a regular load of laundry every 2-4 days. As long as you don't use fabric softener on them it should be fine. I use Gain powder on all our clothes and diapers.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
Sheagirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I sent you a pm. I have some motherease bedwetter pants for sale on fsot. We loved them. I finally did not have to wash his sheets every day.
Sheagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
mws456
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
What do you think the max time I could let them sit for before washing? I generally only do one hot wash load per week. Would a week work? I am thinking I will likely end up running the washer with just 2-3 pull ups in it at least once per week and then throw them in again with the sheets/towels. Can they be hand washed? Sorry for so many questions, but thanks for all of the suggestions so far!
Don't let them sit for a week! You will have major bacteria growth. Three days is a good rule of thumb, four at the very most. The only way that might work is if you rinsed them by hand really really well and then let them air dry completely before tossing them in the pail.

As far as the rash, it could a detergent issue. My toddler can't handle certain detergents (even "cloth" friendly ones) when they get wet with urine. The combo will burn the fire out of her. Figured it out when even her panties would get a little damp. She would still get a rash.

The other thing that worked the best for us was switching to all natural fiber (cotton) prefolds and a thick wool cover. I could understand your son might balk at the idea of a prefold, but you could make a super thick fitted "pull-up" for him out of either cotton or bamboo fabric. I made my own wool cover using the free katrina soaker pattern. You would have to modify it for his size, but since you sew it shouldn't be too difficult to do. Felted Wool interlock is the best for nighttimes. I got mine from Nature's Fabrics. Two covers would be sufficient, which you could very easily get from 1 yd of fabric. The PUL covers we had been using for 2 years just didn't breathe enough for her. If you have a very strong ammonia smell from the diapers in the morning you might really want to consider wool. Since we have switched the ammonia smell has completely gone away! Inserts and detergent have remained the same, so I know the wool is what has made the difference. If you have any questions about using wool feel free to pm me.
mws456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
How do you wash them? I am thinking detergent build up is what started causing his rashes, but it seemed a little silly to wash a separate load every other day with just two pull ups so I threw them in with our laundry. I am guessing I should have hand washed them? I would love to make something else but I worry that they will make him rashy again. Could the microfiber have caused the rash even though it was stuffed inside?
I would say do this and then extra rinse them on warm.

I agree with the lady above... if you aren't washing them within a handful on days rinse them (I would say an okay rinse is fine) and let them dry out before putting them in the laundry.

if you want more stay dry, bumwear, snap-ez (i am using the pocket trainers with my 3 year old), or you can make your own with microfleece or suedecloth.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-22-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote