Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
toys2teach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
27 baby dolls.....geez

I feel much better about my house after attending a birthday party this weekend. The little girl had 27 baby dolls and atleast 40 more small size dolls intended for her doll house. She also received 2 more at the party. There were so many I just had to count out of curiousity I saw atleast 15 bags/pocket books and I won't even get into the rest of the house! They have 3 kids so you can imagine what the house looked like. Just a little something to make everyone feel a little better about their own houses this morning! LOL

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 27 baby dolls.....geez

Yeah, I sometimes wonder when other kids visit here if they think the playroom is barren compared to what they are used to at home, especially for 3 kids! And the mix we have is different too, mostly board games/puzzles/books/legos as opposed to, well, everything else.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you suppose people build bigger houses nowadays to accommodate more stuff. Giant walk in closets, whole rooms dedicated to toys, cupboard space beyond your wildest dreams. And why? To hold more stuff. I've come to actually cherish having only a small space to maintain.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
jessica377
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
Do you suppose people build bigger houses nowadays to accommodate more stuff. Giant walk in closets, whole rooms dedicated to toys, cupboard space beyond your wildest dreams. And why? To hold more stuff. I've come to actually cherish having only a small space to maintain.
I definitely think people build bigger houses to store their stuff! This is in addition to storage units. We just had another massage storage center built in town. It is nuts. I really think the amount of space you have is the amount you will fill.
jessica377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I really think the amount of space you have is the amount you will fill.
I think that is SO true. I am struggling with that a bit right now since we moved into a bigger house. It wasn't out intention to buy a bigger house, it was what was available and what we could afford in the area we wanted to move to. Don't get me wrong, more stuff is going out every day, but I *know* it would be going out a whole lot faster if it were smaller.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Going to other people's houses almost always makes me feel better.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
They absolutely do. My husband is always whining about the size of our 1 1/2 car garage and how small the house it. It is 4 floors! Well if you count the huge basement with the main portion plus 2 storage rooms under the front porch, the empty coal room & the other room I have no clue what it is for. Plus the attic that could be made into a huge playroom or living area for my DSD.

We could have thrived in that 800sq ft house I wanted to buy. It was beautiful, recently redone & sold for $22,500! The owner died & his kids wanted it sold yesterday. It too had a basement ~ a nice dry basement but since it lacked a 3rd bedroom ( we have all boys, DSD never visits) and there was no garage or dining area DH was against it.

I know people think we have too few things, that is why they always give us more O.o

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica377 View Post
I definitely think people build bigger houses to store their stuff! This is in addition to storage units. We just had another massage storage center built in town. It is nuts. I really think the amount of space you have is the amount you will fill.
I agree with his to an extent, but it really depends as well on your personality. Our house in Vegas wasn't really huge, but the way it was laid out, there was a lot of space that was virtually empty. And it stayed that way while we lived there. YDD used to ride her tricycle in the house! Sometimes we would look at it and think we should maybe put something there to help fill the space, but we could never come up with anything we would use.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post

I agree with his to an extent, but it really depends as well on your personality. Our house in Vegas wasn't really huge, but the way it was laid out, there was a lot of space that was virtually empty. And it stayed that way while we lived there. YDD used to ride her tricycle in the house! Sometimes we would look at it and think we should maybe put something there to help fill the space, but we could never come up with anything we would use.
True but we are on a minimalist forum. In the real world 99% of people have personalities that would full a bigger house. We have 3600 square feet and plenty of empty rooms, and we often wonder what people think of us. We certainly aren't normal.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
True but we are on a minimalist forum. In the real world 99% of people have personalities that would full a bigger house. We have 3600 square feet and plenty of empty rooms, and we often wonder what people think of us. We certainly aren't normal.
That makes me feel better. We aren't normal either. We have 3500 finished sq feet. It seems so huge and I feel like such an odd duck here sometimes :/

Doing it again, I would have built a house with 2500-3000 finished sq feet. Oh well, too late now.

My SIL commented last week that I would be able to find stuff more easily if I had more stuff and my house wasn't so clean . I think she means--if I had 5 rolls of tape and 1 went missing, I wouldn't notice because there would be 4 other rolls stashed various places.

This same SIL has a 5000 sq ft house and 5000 sq ft storage shed on their property, and they are both filled! Her daughter easily has 27 dolls . . . Probably closer to 50. I know she is so confused why my kids (both sons and daughters) each only have 2 dolls
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote