Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

How to bring on ovulation while BF'ing?

So I swear I keep thinking my period is coming, but it hasn't yet! A lot of times we go several 4-5 hours between nursing, my DS is almost 10 mo and for the past 2 months probably his nursing has spread out more.

We want to TTC again so I'm getting impatient!

Advertisement

Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to bring on ovulation while BF'ing?

try grapefruit juice and soy foods. its high in estrogen so it can trigger ovulation.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Just remember that raising estrogen can lower prolactin and drop your milk supply.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
sharon_k
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's just up to your body. Don't think there's too much you can do unless you weaned fully. For some women, any amount of breastfeeding will prevent them from ovulating. I began ovulating again the soonest 9 months, the latest 14 months postpartum.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Grrrr, it's so frustrating!

Thanks for the answers I am hoping to cut down on our night nursing because I need the sleep, especially before I return to work. Hoping that brings back my period!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
Just remember that raising estrogen can lower prolactin and drop your milk supply.
yep, thats how I found out. i was trying to lose weight and my milk dropped from taking estrogen based foods, (soy bars here and there) and I O'd.
Id want to nurse my child for a full couple yrs before having another but thats just me.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom

yep, thats how I found out. i was trying to lose weight and my milk dropped from taking estrogen based foods, (soy bars here and there) and I O'd.
Id want to nurse my child for a full couple yrs before having another but thats just me.
This is my dilemma - I don't want to stop nursing anytime soon, at least until DS is ready, but we want more kids and the time is right for us sooner rather than later I'm hoping I can continue to bf an still get pregnant!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd love to know too. My body keeps faking my out. I think the best bet is going to longer stretches between nursing. I had almost successfully night weaned when DS started teething ALL his molars. So that went out the window. The Jay Gordon method worked really well for us though. I'm taking vitex too, not really to bring on ovulation but to hopefully help a little bean stick if I catch the first egg.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
UCmama09
Registered Users
seller

I'm in the same boat. DD is 12.5 months old and no PPAF. Last time I was ttc while bfing, I tried Vitex, and it didn't work. Took soy isoflavones for two months (on what would have been CD 3-7, going by previous cycles). I got AF almost 3 weeks after taking it for the second "cycle" (15.5 months pp). I took Vitex for several months starting last fall, with not much luck, except a lot of "false starting" - O cramping, EWCM, etc. I quit that, and am waiting to start the soy iso again in 2.5 weeks. I'm hoping it helps again this time. It takes a LOT of cutting back for me to become fertile. I didn't get AF back with #4 until she was a week shy of 2 years old. I *wish* I were one of the women who could get pregnant easily while bfing, but my body needs a little help. I tried to be content leaving it up to nature, but I just can't. It's hard, because I trust my body completely when it comes to pregnancy and birth!

I started a private 'DS TTC While Breastfeeding' group on facebook; if you're interested, PM me and I will give you the link to join. Not to take away from here, just a more private place to share for those of us who don't want to put personal details in public forums.

Last edited by UCmama09; 03-18-2013 at 11:20 PM.
UCmama09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCmama09
I'm in the same boat. DD is 12.5 months old and no PPAF. Last time I was ttc while bfing, I tried Vitex, and it didn't work. Took soy isoflavones for two months (on what would have been CD 3-7, going by previous cycles). I got AF almost 3 weeks after taking it for the second "cycle" (15.5 months pp). I took Vitex for several months starting last fall, with not much luck, except a lot of "false starting" - O cramping, EWCM, etc. I quit that, and am waiting to start the soy iso again in 2.5 weeks. I'm hoping it helps again this time. It takes a LOT of cutting back for me to become fertile. I didn't get AF back with #4 until she was a week shy of 2 years old. I *wish* I were one of the women who could get pregnant easily while bfing, but my body needs a little help. I tried to be content leaving it up to nature, but I just can't. It's hard, because I trust my body completely when it comes to pregnancy and birth!

I started a private 'DS TTC While Breastfeeding' group on facebook; if you're interested, PM me and I will give you the link to join. Not to take away from here, just a more private place to share for those of us who don't want to put personal details in public forums.
Thanks mama