Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Math struggles

My daughter loathes math, and anything to do with it! She is in second grade now, doing Singapore 2A. She was in public school up to 1st grade, and then we tried Mammoth, MUS, and now Singapore starting with 1B at the beginning of 2nd grade. She does not know her facts, except the 0s and the 1s and a few of the basic 2+2, 5+5, 10+10, etc. She counts on her fingers, so it is very slow going. She literally cries and whines and avoids math every day. It is such a struggle.
Any suggestions? I really don't want to do this again next year. Is there something you all like better than Singapore, that I haven't already tried? I looked at McRuffy and Teaching Textbooks, and both look good to me, but so did the others we have tried!
Help!

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Math struggles

It would help if we knew what didn't work with those programs.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd keep with Singapore. It's a solid program. Make sure you have the HIG (standards edition has a GREAT HIG!) and back up if you have to (which you might - have her take the placement test). Also, add in some manipulatives. I love C rods. Check out educationunboxed.com to see how to teach with them.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
firstlynn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the cuisenaire rods: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

It is really helpful to make abstract concepts concrete. My DS1 gets frustrated at times (we're doing Essentials B/1A currently) and we often break out the c-rods when things get confusing. We also use Education Unboxed & some miquon mixed in...DS calls it "the math that I like..."
Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeviolin View Post
I'd keep with Singapore. It's a solid program. Make sure you have the HIG (standards edition has a GREAT HIG!) and back up if you have to (which you might - have her take the placement test). Also, add in some manipulatives. I love C rods. Check out educationunboxed.com to see how to teach with them.
What is a HIG?

We have some C Rods, I will go check out that site for some fun ways to use them, thanks!

I looked at CL sunrise math, and that looks great too and gets a lot of good reviews. Aaaaagh, what to do?!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
What is a HIG?

We have some C Rods, I will go check out that site for some fun ways to use them, thanks!

I looked at CL sunrise math, and that looks great too and gets a lot of good reviews. Aaaaagh, what to do?!
The Home Instructor's Guide. It teaches you what to say and how to teach math. It provides a schedule, mental math practices, and teaching techniques. It makes Singapore more open-and-go and really encourages good math technique. My daughter's worked through 2b, but my son is getting ready to start 1a, and I'll still pull out the HIG. Good material in there!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Again, what doesn't work about the programs you've tried? There are a lot of great programs out there, but without knowing what you are needing from a math program, it is difficult to point you in the right direction. Also, when you use the programs, have you used all that goes with them? For instance, with the Math-U-See, did you use the teacher's manual, the DVD, the book, and the blocks? Sometimes if you leave part of a program out, it doesn't work for you.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that if you are going to stick with Singapore, the Home Instructor's Guide is very valuable. I was advised by many that it was not needed. I got it anyway because I tend to need hand holding, especially in math. I am VERY glad I did. I don't understand why so many say it isn't needed when to me, it seems very important to the program.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I can't really say specifically what didn't work about each, I think it was just that my child was struggling and hated it so much, so I wanted to try something else...
We did try all of the aspects of each program though.
I have never heard of this hig?! I purchased my set through mfw, and it only came with the student text and workbooks, and the mfw schedule, which does have some helps in it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

What is her learning style?