Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

hands on for 3rd grade?

Looking for reviews and input on curriculum. We hs for k/1st grade but being on a bare budget I made our plans and curriculum with free and cheap resources. It took a lot of time and energy and now that we have a little cushion I'd like to splurge and take that task off my plate. He'll be in 3 rd grade (also will have a girl in k). He's great at math and workbook type for that works well. He doesn't enjoy lots of busy writing. For social studies and especially science hands on is really what looking for. And although we do have some wiggle room with the budget I don't want to spend a ton on supplies or curriculum. Thanks for any insight and help

Advertisement

fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: hands on for 3rd grade?

My suggestions are going to be from a Christian perspective because that is what I know, so keep that in mind.

We have really enjoyed Apologia for science. There is a notebook that goes with it and experiments with every lesson.

We used Truthquest for history at that age, but it is not real hands on. It has a teachers guide with some background info, but the bulk of it is books, so if you go that route, ou will need a good library system. There are suggestions for some hands on things, and with some research, it is easy to find things to do, but they are not built in to the curriculum. I have heard a lot of good things about Mystery of History, though. However, the curriculum isn't complete. It is supposed to be 4 volumes when complete and they only have 3 out,I believe. I haven't looked at it recently, so they may have a date fr when the last will be out, so you might look into it.

We haven't done anything formal for geography. We have a couple fun books about the states and we have a game called Scrambled States of America, but we haven't really studied beyond that. If you have a smart whatever or tablet of some sort, there are apps for a bunch of different things.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: hands on for 3rd grade?

DP

Last edited by tallanvor; 02-22-2013 at 08:56 PM.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

Thank you! ! I'll be looking into it
fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote