Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #41
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you had a c-section...

This brings back a not very good memory....

I had my son via c-section at a woman's hospital. I was not put on a maternity ward floor for recovery...but just a surgery recovery floor---I got to see my son for like 2 minutes...they didn't want him on the floor crying to distrub the other woman recovery (I get that).

I was so out of it and dh well, is dh, and didn't think about me needing/wanting to nurse right away-although I don't know how I could have-I was so out of it.

It was HOURS before I was able to nurse. The first week was hard, very hard...I didn't know what the heck I was doing, but I nursed him.

I didn't take much pain medicine.

I am happy to report that I did nurse my little guy for 33 months!

Advertisement

debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #42
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I am just really shocked that so many people are not picking up that this woman most likely just does not want to admit she doesn't want to nurse. And unfortunately for her, she just doesn't realize that you can take good pain meds and still nurse so this probably seemed like the perfect excuse to give nosy people when they ask. I can honestly say I have never asked someone how or what they feed their baby. Evenfamily. I find it so rude and nosy, no ones business but mom and dad to the baby IMHO. I don't believe for a second that she was told by a nurse she could not BF the baby. Even if she had, there are nurse shift changes and different days off, someone would catch that.

Just look at that awful thread not long ago about women choosing not to nurse from day 1. With so much judgement from other people, why would anyone tell the truth??

OP, I really think you need to let this one go. This momma does not want to nurse.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 02-24-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #43
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I am shocked that on a board where people are constantly bashing the modern medical community, talking about how doctors don't know what they are doing, lamenting lack of BFing education, ect, people are jumping to the conclusion that there is no reasonable way this woman could have been given wrong information, and is just making excuses. Is it possible? Yes. But after hearing stories about docs/hospitals/nurses I also feel it's also entirely possible she was given wrong information, even repeatedly. As to why she didn't question it, who knows?

OP, all you can do is give her the info and let her make her own choice. And be supportive of whatever path she chooses.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #44
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree. I hope she is able to bf if that is her decision.

I still feel guilty about not trying harder to bf my ods. He will be turning 14 in a few months.

I was determined to try everything I could when I had my yds. I was worried that I couldn't bf after a c/s (I too had "heard" it is hard to do), I am a fluffy-sized mama and I was concerned my LO wouldn't be able to breath while nursing, I returned to work when he was 6 weeks. I was able to pump for 14 months and he never went on a nursing strike (whew!).

It was hard at first, I couldn't figure out how to get him to latch on; each feed it got better...after a week, he was a pro and I was more comfortable.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #45
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I nursed while getting stitched up during my second cesarean. Although, I was already well versed in post surgical nursing, I did have to gently remind several nurses that it is acceptable. :P
Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #46
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I nursed DD1 on the operating table and DD2 in recovery.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #47
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
I am just really shocked that so many people are not picking up that this woman most likely just does not want to admit she doesn't want to nurse. And unfortunately for her, she just doesn't realize that you can take good pain meds and still nurse so this probably seemed like the perfect excuse to give nosy people when they ask. I can honestly say I have never asked someone how or what they feed their baby. Evenfamily. I find it so rude and nosy, no ones business but mom and dad to the baby IMHO. I don't believe for a second that she was told by a nurse she could not BF the baby. Even if she had, there are nurse shift changes and different days off, someone would catch that.

Just look at that awful thread not long ago about women choosing not to nurse from day 1. With so much judgement from other people, why would anyone tell the truth??

OP, I really think you need to let this one go. This momma does not want to nurse.
While I get this sentiment, I've witnessed so many friends getting horrible information about nursing, I wouldn't be shocked at all if this mama really was told this. One of my friends really wanted to nurse. She got told by her OB and her nurse that because she had an "emergency" csection, she absolutely shouldn't nurse more than once every 4 hours. Any more than that and she'd put too much strain on her body to recover. A lot of women get really awful advice and when a new mom hears "if you do _____, you'll hurt your baby", she's often afraid to risk it.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote