Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ's Avatar
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 13,282
Anyone have a love hate with Heart of Dakota??

We used this for the 1st time this year with my 1st grader.

I will say we used Math-U-See, and loved it!! We didn't follow "their" math box each day, which is no biggie.

I LOVE LOVE the history......maybe more then my son, who likes it too!

Other then that, I don't know that I was crazy about it....although we kind of subbed our own things in too.

He is in Awana, so we worked on those verses usually and not the one in the book.....I guess we could do both. It has been a crazy year, my youngest has been a challenge, whew, praying she is easier next year. I am sure she will be! Just meaning we are happy to get in the basics right now everyday.

The science was kind of just so so.....we definitely did not do all of the "experiments" and activities.

We did more reading that he was interested in versus what they said to read, as far as reading on his own and with me.


With all that said, maybe this was too laid out for me?? I like a little more freedom, does that make sense?? I am talking to myself here sort of haha...just trying to make some decisions for next year.

I will have a Kindergartner next year too, not that it would matter. I am just looking at a few options out there. I think a lot about just pulling things from different places and making one that way.....although maybe the older he gets the more I need this all in one?? Just being afraid I might miss something important!!

Another curriculum that appealed to me was My Father's World. I have seen it at a couple homeschooling fairs. I am not sure how alike or different they are.

Any advice or input would be wonderful! I hope it all makes sense....guess this is the journey of finding what works for us!

Advertisement

__________________
*Meagan*Love being a SAH Homeschooling Mama to my 4 + Baby 5 due 10/14.


Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Kristi26's Avatar
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,356
My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a love hate with Heart of Dakota??

Let me preface all of this by saying that while I have looked at HOD and MFW a LOT, I have not actually taken the plunge and used either one. On to my actual thoughts...

I am a Charlotte Mason lover here at my house. I adore just about everything about her technique and want it happening here. It's one of the many things that appealed to me about MFW and HOD. I will even go so far as to say, I have been considering getting MFW for the three oldest this year but then I found this:

http://www.simplycharlottemason.com/

That's what we are doing for the bulk of our schooling this year. You can get a lesson planner to go with the history stuff and that'll give you the script or you can skip it. You can buy all the books they recommend or get them at the library and substitute as necessary. One of the things I love about it is that it is a much less expensive option than HOD or MFW with all the things I still liked about both programs (some fun activities, Charlotte Mason style reading, etc).

So what I am saying here is this: If you loved the History portion of HOD but not really the other stuff, maybe this is more in line with what you're looking for?

This is another Charlotte Mason like curriculum that is free online and uses many free resources: http://www.amblesideonline.org/

They use lots of books that can be found free here: http://www.mainlesson.com/

Hope that helps somehow!
__________________
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
HeatherDanae's Avatar
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ~Home of the Pittsburgh Penguins~
Posts: 3,365
My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a love hate with Heart of Dakota??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi26 View Post
Let me preface all of this by saying that while I have looked at HOD and MFW a LOT, I have not actually taken the plunge and used either one. On to my actual thoughts...

I am a Charlotte Mason lover here at my house. I adore just about everything about her technique and want it happening here. It's one of the many things that appealed to me about MFW and HOD. I will even go so far as to say, I have been considering getting MFW for the three oldest this year but then I found this:

http://www.simplycharlottemason.com/

That's what we are doing for the bulk of our schooling this year. You can get a lesson planner to go with the history stuff and that'll give you the script or you can skip it. You can buy all the books they recommend or get them at the library and substitute as necessary. One of the things I love about it is that it is a much less expensive option than HOD or MFW with all the things I still liked about both programs (some fun activities, Charlotte Mason style reading, etc).

So what I am saying here is this: If you loved the History portion of HOD but not really the other stuff, maybe this is more in line with what you're looking for?

This is another Charlotte Mason like curriculum that is free online and uses many free resources: http://www.amblesideonline.org/

They use lots of books that can be found free here: http://www.mainlesson.com/

Hope that helps somehow!
THANK YOU for those resources!! I felt the same way as the OP and loved the history but wanted to sub out everything else with curriculum I like better. Now I don't need to buy the HOD just for history.

So on the CM site...do you just pick a history book and use it for that year or do you use multiple? It gives such a general grade range I don't know if it's meant to be a complete curriculum book for that school year or a supplement. TIA!


ETA: Nevermind! I found where they tell you what to use that year.
__________________
Heather married to Chris Mama to DS Evan 9 yrs, DS Levi 7 yrs, DD Adella 6 yrs, DD Eliana 4 yrs, DS Abel 3 yrs, and DS Titus Oct 7, 2014!
My 3 babies in heaven Learning to take one day at a time...

Last edited by HeatherDanae; 02-23-2013 at 08:58 AM.
HeatherDanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Re: Anyone have a love hate with Heart of Dakota??

Yes, love hate is a great way to put it. I fell in love with HOD but it just didn't work for us like I had hoped it would. I was so against having to pull different curriculum together at first but it really has worked well for us. My only thing with MFW would be using their phonics and math...DS is above grade level in both of those.

We currently do Classical Conversations with a CM spin on things. I do use a lot of the Ambleside Online books just for free reading but I don't follow their curriculum
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Mommy2JJ's Avatar
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 13,282
Re: Anyone have a love hate with Heart of Dakota??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi26 View Post
Let me preface all of this by saying that while I have looked at HOD and MFW a LOT, I have not actually taken the plunge and used either one. On to my actual thoughts...

I am a Charlotte Mason lover here at my house. I adore just about everything about her technique and want it happening here. It's one of the many things that appealed to me about MFW and HOD. I will even go so far as to say, I have been considering getting MFW for the three oldest this year but then I found this:

http://www.simplycharlottemason.com/

That's what we are doing for the bulk of our schooling this year. You can get a lesson planner to go with the history stuff and that'll give you the script or you can skip it. You can buy all the books they recommend or get them at the library and substitute as necessary. One of the things I love about it is that it is a much less expensive option than HOD or MFW with all the things I still liked about both programs (some fun activities, Charlotte Mason style reading, etc).

So what I am saying here is this: If you loved the History portion of HOD but not really the other stuff, maybe this is more in line with what you're looking for?

This is another Charlotte Mason like curriculum that is free online and uses many free resources: http://www.amblesideonline.org/

They use lots of books that can be found free here: http://www.mainlesson.com/

Hope that helps somehow!
This is great, thank you for sharing!! I am going to be looking into that. It is SO hard to know what to do, grr wish it was easier to decide!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
Yes, love hate is a great way to put it. I fell in love with HOD but it just didn't work for us like I had hoped it would. I was so against having to pull different curriculum together at first but it really has worked well for us. My only thing with MFW would be using their phonics and math...DS is above grade level in both of those.

We currently do Classical Conversations with a CM spin on things. I do use a lot of the Ambleside Online books just for free reading but I don't follow their curriculum

I have a couple friends who do classical conversations, but there is no way we could afford that right now.

I have heard that with MFW and I am a little worried about it being too easy as well.....although you could just go up a year?!?

Thanks for the input ladies!!
__________________
*Meagan*Love being a SAH Homeschooling Mama to my 4 + Baby 5 due 10/14.


Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Re: Anyone have a love hate with Heart of Dakota??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
This is great, thank you for sharing!! I am going to be looking into that. It is SO hard to know what to do, grr wish it was easier to decide!!




I have a couple friends who do classical conversations, but there is no way we could afford that right now.

I have heard that with MFW and I am a little worried about it being too easy as well.....although you could just go up a year?!?

Thanks for the input ladies!!
The program itself is great but I've told several friends you can always just purchase the materials which are actually pretty affordable and use them at home with multiple ages. The Foundations guide was $60, the CD is $35, the map is $10. Those are the only materials you HAVE to have to teach it but some others can be useful. All I have right now is the guide and map but I plan to purchase the CD and maybe the science/history cards. It can be one of the cheapest programs available because Foundations covers ALL of elementary. You repeat it twice. Not trying to push you towards it, but I think it might be helpful for others to know you don't have to actually enroll in the classes. There are TONS of online resources and you tube videos for CC, you could easily do it all from home.

Last edited by 7mom7; 02-25-2013 at 10:18 AM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Mommy2JJ's Avatar
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 13,282
Re: Anyone have a love hate with Heart of Dakota??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
The program itself is great but I've told several friends you can always just purchase the materials which are actually pretty affordable and use them at home with multiple ages. The Foundations guide was $60, the CD is $35, the map is $10. Those are the only materials you HAVE to have to teach it but some others can be useful. All I have right now is the guide and map but I plan to purchase the CD and maybe the science/history cards. It can be one of the cheapest programs available because Foundations covers ALL of elementary. You repeat it twice. Not trying to push you towards it, but I think it might be helpful for others to know you don't have to actually enroll in the classes. There are TONS of online resources and you tube videos for CC, you could easily do it all from home.
Wow, I had no clue!! Adding that to my research list!! Thanks for the info.
__________________
*Meagan*Love being a SAH Homeschooling Mama to my 4 + Baby 5 due 10/14.


Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,470
Re: Anyone have a love hate with Heart of Dakota??

Yes! I found the guide too "bossy"!! I would love it in a weekly grid. That said I use SL bc of the planned schedule but also for the freedom.
__________________
Mom to a sweet girlie (3/12/07) and monkey boy (6/12/10).
momof2littles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Amberlde
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 214
Re: Anyone have a love hate with Heart of Dakota??

I am feeling the same way with my HOD.. I think for next year (1st grade) we will try to put our own curriculum together.. I thought I would LOVE HOD, but I am not
Amberlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Mommy2JJ's Avatar
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 13,282
Re: Anyone have a love hate with Heart of Dakota??

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2littles View Post
Yes! I found the guide too "bossy"!! I would love it in a weekly grid. That said I use SL bc of the planned schedule but also for the freedom.
YES!! Bossy is the word I was looking for!!
__________________
*Meagan*Love being a SAH Homeschooling Mama to my 4 + Baby 5 due 10/14.


Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.