Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone decluttering their LIFE?

I started de-cluttering my life about a year ago. I thought it would take me a couple months but a year later I am still working on it. I find myself being happier, more organized, less stressed, etc with less. I am now on my second go-through of the house and I can honestly say I haven't missed a single thing so far! And although I did a good job moving stuff out the first time I am finding it easier to purge and make decisions about what to keep. I also am finding it easier to donate instead of keeping or selling the items. I have noticed there is an extra value in NOT having them around, if that makes sense. I also agree fully with the pp that with less to manage it lends to more time for the most important things, my kids. Even in small ways, less picking up in the evening=more time snuggling and reading books. Maybe eventually you can get rid of the car etc but I think you will know when it's time. It will feel natural. This is totally a process and I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have

Advertisement

jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #22
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitha84 View Post
Thank you for such a thoughtful response. Someone's gotta keep my feet on the ground! LOL! Sounds like my situation is a bit different then yours but its good to hear from a more rational person. Hehe!
Glad to help I do really get where you are coming from. I have greatly decluttered and streamlined parts of my life that I didn't even know where possible lol. It really does feel good to make positive changes and minimize the things you don't like in your life to make more room for the things you DO like. I read a blog awhile ago that was talking about decluttering your fantasy self and it was a big eye opener for me.

Not only did that realization encourage me to get rid of things I never thought I'd purge, but it made me take a hard look at who I want to be/who I think I should be/who I try to pretend to be. For example, I'm totally content to have only the bare minimum clothing for each person, 1 towel each, just enough dishes for the family for a day...but we own 5 computers! They all get used daily though, 3 are for our homeschool setup (my kids use an online curriculum) and DH and I have laptops. It sounds excessive, but the online curriculum has been the BEST thing ever for my kids schooling, my sanity and makes for way less homeschool materials to store. So really this actually simplifies things greatly, but if I was listing it out to sound minimalist, it sounds totally crazy.

For me minimalism isn't really about "stuff". Yes, that is a part of it, but it has changed pretty much every aspect of my life from how I raise my kids to what I cook to how I spend my time.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
tabitha84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicanashville View Post
I started de-cluttering my life about a year ago. I thought it would take me a couple months but a year later I am still working on it. I find myself being happier, more organized, less stressed, etc with less. I am now on my second go-through of the house and I can honestly say I haven't missed a single thing so far! And although I did a good job moving stuff out the first time I am finding it easier to purge and make decisions about what to keep. I also am finding it easier to donate instead of keeping or selling the items. I have noticed there is an extra value in NOT having them around, if that makes sense. I also agree fully with the pp that with less to manage it lends to more time for the most important things, my kids. Even in small ways, less picking up in the evening=more time snuggling and reading books. Maybe eventually you can get rid of the car etc but I think you will know when it's time. It will feel natural. This is totally a process and I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I have
Love it! Thanks, I hope I do, too!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #24
tabitha84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
Glad to help I do really get where you are coming from. I have greatly decluttered and streamlined parts of my life that I didn't even know where possible lol. It really does feel good to make positive changes and minimize the things you don't like in your life to make more room for the things you DO like. I read a blog awhile ago that was talking about decluttering your fantasy self and it was a big eye opener for me.

Not only did that realization encourage me to get rid of things I never thought I'd purge, but it made me take a hard look at who I want to be/who I think I should be/who I try to pretend to be. For example, I'm totally content to have only the bare minimum clothing for each person, 1 towel each, just enough dishes for the family for a day...but we own 5 computers! They all get used daily though, 3 are for our homeschool setup (my kids use an online curriculum) and DH and I have laptops. It sounds excessive, but the online curriculum has been the BEST thing ever for my kids schooling, my sanity and makes for way less homeschool materials to store. So really this actually simplifies things greatly, but if I was listing it out to sound minimalist, it sounds totally crazy.

For me minimalism isn't really about "stuff". Yes, that is a part of it, but it has changed pretty much every aspect of my life from how I raise my kids to what I cook to how I spend my time.
I would LOVE to read that blog post if you can remember how to find it. Sounds like it would be good for me
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #25
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

We have one car =) I don't really have any interest in a second. I let my license expire but am in the process of fixing it.

All of our stores/the library/PO/schools etc. are about a 5 minute walk. I can walk to the doctor in about 15. If I really need the car I can send dp to work with a friend or drive him in if REALLY stuck (obviously not with no license but before).

We do no tv for kiddo during the week. On weekends depending on weather she gets to watch a couple of cooking shows (Alton Brown) & a movie or two. We watch tv most nights after she is in bed but we only have netflix/things we download.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #26
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

We can't even make it as a 2 car family - ha! We have 3 cars (pick up, 8 passenger SUV and an ultra compact) and a scooter (100+ mpg). When the truck goes, then we'll upgrade to a 4 door / crew cab truck and ditch the SUV, but for now we need both for hauling the boat and a work vehicle. Kudos to you for wanting to take the plunge!

I think when kids are little it's important to give them exposure to a LOT of things so that when they're older they can pick the ones they really like. I wouldn't limit things like sports / activities for that reason, but my LOs are 2 and 5. This summer both boys will have swim lessons, and the 5 year old will also have t-ball and soccer, but then next summer he can pick t-ball OR soccer. Both boys will continue with swim lessons every summer until they are level 4 swimmers, as we have a pond by our house / MIL & FIL have a pool / my folks' have a lake house. I think you have to find what works best for your family!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #27
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitha84 View Post
I would LOVE to read that blog post if you can remember how to find it. Sounds like it would be good for me
Here ya go http://www.missminimalist.com/2011/0...-fantasy-self/
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #28
Queensasha17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really wish we could do one car living as well, with my doctors appointments almost an hr's drive away and everything else on base at lease a 10min drive away it just won't work. I suppose if DH and I had similar working hours it would be an option but we have shifts that begin and end in the middle of each other it wouldn't work. Nj driving is horrible, everything is so far away. (because the base is basically surrounded by very little)

I am trying to declutter our lives other than that though. Although dh is always playing video games. I cannot stand it. Other than that it has been going alright.

Married to my USAF hubby, the love of my life.

iso: os swaddlebees simplex, 40F/DDD nursing bras
Queensasha17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #29
tabitha84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
Thank you! Your awesome!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #30
tabitha84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
We have one car =) I don't really have any interest in a second. I let my license expire but am in the process of fixing it.

All of our stores/the library/PO/schools etc. are about a 5 minute walk. I can walk to the doctor in about 15. If I really need the car I can send dp to work with a friend or drive him in if REALLY stuck (obviously not with no license but before).

We do no tv for kiddo during the week. On weekends depending on weather she gets to watch a couple of cooking shows (Alton Brown) & a movie or two. We watch tv most nights after she is in bed but we only have netflix/things we download.
This is just the kind of motivation/inspiration I was looking for! I know its possible and that some families have only one car, but I really want to hear from them how it works for everyone in the family and how they feel about it. Its so nice that you live close to all those conveniences. The intersection near my place has a park on one corner, a grocery store on another, then the school and a Starbucks. Only thing missing is a library. We haven't really used a doctor much. The grocery store that's there isn't the one I shop at because it's expensive, but at least its there, in a pnich. There is a library less than a mile up the road, but there's no sidewalk in that direction and its a very busy road. That's my other concern; very busy 4 lane intersection to cross with the kids everyday to get to and from the school (at least till he's old enough to ride the bus. And by "old enough" I mean mature enough, lol). And my other apprehension is about the weather. It can get up to 105 in the summer and single digits in the winter. What do you/would you do about rain, snow and icy sidewalks, etc? Also my sister said I might feel trapped at home. What are youe thoughts on that?

Last edited by tabitha84; 02-23-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo
tabitha84 is offline   Reply With Quote