Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #11
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby signs

This is going to be one smart kiddo! Our nextdoor neighbors are Mexican and my best friend is German (lives with her parents who speak very little English) so DJ's been hearing Spanish and German all his life. Sometimes I wonder if he really understands the words or just the tone of voice and body language but he seems to understand plenty either way. And he does say a lot of Spanish words so maybe he does understand. It's cute because the neighbors have a little boy a year older than DJ and his mother was my mom's assistant for a while so they were together all the time. Both of the boys now seem to think that "Uno, dos, tres, ...etc." are the next set of numbers after 10. They'll sit there with their blocks or whatever and count to 10 in English and then keep going in Spanish. They do the same thing with colors...an apple is "rojo red", the sky is "blue azul". Whatever works!

ETA: You'd be surprised at how smart kids are. Junior (my neighbor's kid) seems to know that his daddy doesn't speak English so he only speaks Spanish to him...at home he speaks Spanish with his mother but he speaks English to her when they're out and about. If I'm at their house, he's about half English and half Spanish with me but when he's at our house, he speaks all English. It really is funny how smart they are!

Advertisement

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!

Last edited by bfoster2000; 06-16-2006 at 02:17 PM.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
janelyb
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marelle4381
I don't think my daycare people could do it. There are 3 of them Grandma,mom, and daughter. All are Russian and Engilish is there second language. Except the Grandma can't speak Engilish, but she loves Kaden!! Plus they have other kids. I'll try to teach him and when he starts to sign I'll let them know what each one means. They teach him Russian too. Kinda funny cause I wouldn't know what the heck he'd be saying. They say each word in Russian and then repeat it in Engilish.
Sign language will bridge the communication gap between your caregivers and your child.

I am not a fan of Baby Signs company, only because many of their signs are made up ones. I am in favor of using ASL (American Sign Language), it is an actual language!

Here's a company that I have had huge success with:
http://signingtime.com/

they have their dvds available in many public libraries and they are now on PBS weekly

Here's some info on benefits of using signing
http://www.signingtime.com/benefits/

Oh and you are never to old to learn a new language!!!
Janel, mamma to: Tyler (6/03) and Isabella (6/95),ttc #3
janelyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelyb
Sign language will bridge the communication gap between your caregivers and your child.

I am not a fan of Baby Signs company, only because many of their signs are made up ones. I am in favor of using ASL (American Sign Language), it is an actual language!

Here's a company that I have had huge success with:
http://signingtime.com/

they have their dvds available in many public libraries and they are now on PBS weekly

Here's some info on benefits of using signing
http://www.signingtime.com/benefits/

Oh and you are never to old to learn a new language!!!
I told my daycare providers about this today. They wont do it. You have to understand that they are from a different countrie. I believe he understands them already. He's been going there since he was 12 weeks old. He loves them and I'm not going to take him out just because they won't learn the sign language. I will show them the signs once he learns them so that they know what he's saying. Thanks for the links!!
marelle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #14
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did use a few functional signs with our daughter (milk, more, please, thank you, hungry, thirsty...). It was wonderful because once she learned them she had some way to communicate her needs other than crying/whining. We started working with her at 6 months. Her understanding of them was very quick and by 9 months she could do them as well. We did always pair the sign with the spoken word to encourage her verbally. We're now using it with our son and he's catching on...we love it!! The only source I used was www.signwithme.com It shows a little video clip so that you can watch the sign performed and you can search the contents for hundreds of common words. Happy signing!!
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #15
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

I plan on using signs w/ my DD. I do them now, but am very inconsistent w/ it. My 4 1/2 yr old uses them all the time, esp at din b/c shes not allowed to talk w/ her mouth full... so she does thank y ou all the time.... We do mom and dad and sister signs to the baby.... shes just shy of 5 mos, so no response yet!
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #16
keithsmom03
Registered Users

i have been using signs with my son since he was 16mos old, i stared a little late, but he couldnt communicate at all, and we have been signing ever since, he is 3yo now, he is special needs and the signs really help a lot. its a great thing, it helps bring down frustration for both baby and parent, it has been proven to boost thinking skills, etc. there are many advantages to it. i used a website called www.signingbaby.com to learn. i taught myself. it has a video dictionary so you actually see how to do the signs. its great! its well worth it and i dont think that there is any need to take a class or get videos or read books. the website gives enough imo.

heather marie
keithsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you have already gotten your answer that it is definitely worth it.

Just wanted to mention that if your DC doesn't catch on quickly, don't worry about it. Every child learns at a different rate.

I am studying ASL, and even help interperet the service at my church. I have been signing to my DD from day one and she is just now (14 months) starting to catch on. She catches on to other things quickly, like how to open a drawer or climb the stairs, but sign language came slowly for her. She understood many signs from about 10 months on, but only last month has she done signs on her own.

Now that she is finally getting it, DH and are are sooo happy. She can do "more" and that has cut out most of the whining, grunting. and crying during meals. She can also do "eat" which for her means she wants to eat. We're still working on "drink," "milk" (for nursing) "please," "thank you," and others.

So just be patient, but do make it fun. I don't have much experience with videos, but they can give your DC a different perspective and make it even more fun.

Good luck!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #18
*bugsmama*
Registered Users
seller

We started doing Signing Time with Payton when she was 12mos. She picked up the signs really quickly. She LOVES her Signing Time DVDs and asks for them (with her signs) all the time. I have to agree w/PP that I wasn't a huge fan of the Baby Sign program for the same reason - they just made up the signs. Signing Time uses real ASL signs which I like. It has been great so far. Payton has about 40 signs now for everything from all done and more to animals and toys. It has been a great exp for us and I plan on using it for all my kiddos.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #19
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

What signs do you use for have to go/going potty and nurse??
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #20
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When DJ wanted to nurse, he usually just got in my lap and patted my chest. Sometimes he'd do the sign for milk (think milking a cow) but mostly when he did that, he wanted a cup of milk.

For potty, the sign for "toilet" is kind of waving the letter t back and forth (thumb between index finger and middle finger). DJ's almost 2 years old and that one still comes out as kind of waving his fist around but we know what it means so that's good enough for now. At least it's better than having him yell "potty!" or "peepee lots!" or "poopoo now!" at the top of his lungs at the absolute worst times! How is it that one little two year old can drown out an entire restaurant when they're saying something 'embarassing'?
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote