Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
blessed1018
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help

I tried all the tricks with my Easter Egger that ended up being the "dominate" lady in our group. Treats, changing my egg collecting time, ignoring her, petting her (or trying)...everything people suggested. Eventually one day she went after my toes when I had on sandals (I didn't wear my boots since I was running late). I chased her around the yard yelling like a mad woman. She NEVER tried to peck me again. She would stand and stare at me with the sideways chicken stare, but that was it. We had an understanding - *I* was the head hen in their house.

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1843561089.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	135076

Okay here are the 4 young ones

Name:	image-1029719544.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	135078

Here are the 2 that are laying! The easter Egger starting laying about 2 weeks ago! The blue Andalusian started in mid December
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3897111690.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	135077  
B+EBabyDipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yep, def a female! Hard to tell in those pics but she and the buckeye look pretty pale in the comb, so either not ready to lay or the winter is just getting the better of them.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Yep, def a female! Hard to tell in those pics but she and the buckeye look pretty pale in the comb, so either not ready to lay or the winter is just getting the better of them.
Which one is the buckeye?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

dark red unless she's got a single comb I can't see in the pic. Rhode island red/ new hampshire have a tall single comb. Buckeyes= pea comb. You've got some really nice heritage birds there, great shape and carriage.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 02-24-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

Oh I see! So I may have a buckeye not a Rhode Island Red?

Yeah they are all beautiful! I have no clue how these young guys got 5 great breeds

Today was a little better everytime she started coming near me I just picked her up! Though I am beginning to question now if she is laying! Cause it was more apparent today that she doesn't like me going near the house! I wish I had a chicken cam!

Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yes, it looks like that way. Unless she's got a big floppy comb that I can't see in that pic. Glad she's settling down! Don't be afraid of them, while it can pinch something fierce when they do it, it's unlikely she'll actually hurt you or that she intends to. Your post reminded me of how my hens peck my freckles when my arms and legs are bare in summer. LOL! Can't have painted toenails around those little stinkers either!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
blessed1018
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Yes, it looks like that way. Unless she's got a big floppy comb that I can't see in that pic. Glad she's settling down! Don't be afraid of them, while it can pinch something fierce when they do it, it's unlikely she'll actually hurt you or that she intends to. Your post reminded me of how my hens peck my freckles when my arms and legs are bare in summer. LOL! Can't have painted toenails around those little stinkers either!
Rather sure that is why my dominant hen went after my toes that time. Bright red polish! But she made a point to be dominant every time I went out - like fluffing her feathers up big and squawking before she would peck at me.

And OP you have very pretty ladies! What color eggs is your Easter Egger laying? I had three of them, one laid robin blue, one laid green/blue, and the other a light pink. So pretty...like Easter every day!

Last edited by blessed1018; 02-25-2013 at 02:03 PM.
blessed1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, I really love them! She's laying greenish-blue eggs!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #20
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

UPDATE: Last week they ALL started laying!!! Yay, it's so exciting!