Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Time to clean FL?

I know that a fl needs to be cleaned every once in a while. What product do you use and when did you know it was "time"?

I just washed a load of dipes that have weird smell three times and I can't get rid of the smell. Could a dirty washer be the source?

Advertisement

AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
mblicious
Registered Users

Re: Time to clean FL?

I just posted this link elsewhere and it's generally how I've been cleaning mine for the past few years:
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...g-machine.html

The vinegar does the trick usually. If you never use bleach in your washer(mine says not to) then that's the next step to take. My husband bleaches his white tshirts every few months and I think that sort of cleans our washer

I clean ours probably every few months or so with just vinegar. We had issues with our towels being stinky after washing and realized it was the sulfur in our water from drying off after showering. Gross!

It's also important you keep the door and detergent dispenser open when not in use so it can dry out. I clean the rubber part every time I do a load of dirty cleaning cloths. I just wipe it out with one that's not too dirty before I start the load. Icky stuff sure likes to accumulate there!

Good luck! They do make all sorts cleaners you can buy too but start with the vinegar.
mblicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
mblicious
Registered Users

B

Last edited by mblicious; 02-24-2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Duplicate that I can't delete!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
mblicious
Registered Users

Sorry for the duplicates

Last edited by mblicious; 02-24-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
heatherz1982
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to run it empty on a hot wash with bleach when we had a FL. I just did it whenever we thought it was starting to get a little funky. It had a dispenser that was removable for the detergent, bleach, and fabric softener, I had to take that out and wash it at the same time because it would get build up on it too.
heatherz1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
thejuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do a clean washer cycle with bleach once a month. Our machine says "Bleach only" under the Clean Washer cycle button.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will second leaving the door open. After I wash laundry I will leave the door open overnight (or at least several hours) to dry out. otherwise it smells.

I've wondering about the detergent dispenser because water seems to sit in there too. I should probably start leaving that open too, ug.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ours prompts you to clean it after every 50 washes. It has a clean washer cycle and tells you to add a cup of bleach to the detergent dispenser. Definitely leave the door open when it is not in use.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote