Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nursing strike?

Have you been through a nursing strike and made it through? How?! I'd love to hear real experiences!

My 10 month old DS stopped nursing two nights ago and just won't nurse. Earlier that day he bit me and I yelped; he also has a pretty bad cold. Two major potential causes for a nursing strike. Now when I try to nurse him he arches his back away and cries. I've been pumping and feeding him, but I'd love to get back to nursing. I read the info on KellyMom, but am still feeling anxious and really don't want this to be the end of nursing for us. I can get in to a lactation consultant on Tues., but I'm hoping this will all be over by then. Any suggestions or BTDT experiences appreciated!!

Advertisement

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Nursing strike?

I never have with any of mine experienced a nursing strike so not really sure what you could do more. Id just keep offering and pumping so you don't loose your supply. Maybe have him chew on something cold before nursing so it doesn't hurt as bad. Also try not to over offer on bottles/cups bc that will make him want to wean bc it just easier to get milk out. GL mama.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Hopefulily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Every time my LO went on a strike he had an ear infection! Once it was cleared up he was back to nursing!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
birdinhand
Registered Users

Yes you hit two issues at once -- it is common for babies to strike around 8, 9, 10 months (which many perceive as the baby weaning, or they take advantage of it to wean), and the reaction baby got after biting scared him and he doesn't want to nurse. It is common.

Like a previous poster said, if you really want babe to continue (and I would!), you need to protect your supply by pumping. Then get creative about how you offer the breast. Often when we resume a traditional nursing position baby is used to, they arch and rebel, resist. But many woman have success trying in the bathtub with naked mom and baby, on the move so you hold him and walk and try to get him to latch. Certainly sleepy, so their guard is down and they forget they weren't nursing. Whatever you can do to make it seem different than normal.

I am sure there is a lot of other ideas out there. Just keep trying -- many moms find it can take a few days, it isn't an instant fix.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies! I'm hoping we can work through this and keep nursing for several more months at least. I nursed DD until 18 mos (then I was preggo with DS), so that's my goal!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also before eat attempted feeding session, shot saline up his nose ans suction all that gunk out. It's very hard for a baby to breath when nursing and stuffed up. I am sure that will help! Keep chugging along mama!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
yukipr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with some of the postings above, he might have an ear infection or he might be really plugged up. That was the main reason of why my 2.5 years old stop breastfeeding, due to a cold. But before then, she will have just trouble latching and finally latch. Just be gentle and slowly push his head against the breast and see what happens.
yukipr is offline   Reply With Quote