Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Talking Anyone else anxiously awaiting goat kids?

This is our first year having our own does kid and I am nervous, but excited. I have 3 Nubian does, 1 due in late March, the other 2 due in mid-April. Just finished making a list of supplies that we still need to pick up and placed an order for some things from Caprine Supply tonight. I realized I forgot a few things after I ordered, oops

Anyone experienced with goats have any great advice for me? We are experienced with caring for dairy goats, raising brand new bottle babies, but not with the kidding stuff. I am just hoping everything goes smoothly, but trying to gather supplies just to be safe. I'll post some pics of the babies once they are here!

Advertisement

FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our set of twins, one doeling & one buckling, are 3 weeks old now. <3

Happy waiting!!
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else anxiously awaiting goat kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macyllehub View Post
Our set of twins, one doeling & one buckling, are 3 weeks old now. <3

Happy waiting!!
Thanks! What breed are yours?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We chose nigerian dwarfs for a variety of reasons : we rent one acre, so our space is limited. We are surrounded by a subdivision in the suburbs and the ND's are quieter than other breeds we looked at for dairy, we found reputable breeders locally, less feed, great quality and quantity of milk

Our 'Mama' had her second set of twins 3 weeks ago. We have her, another doe Thelma (which was her doeling last May), and now 2 tiny additions : Colette and Jensen.

We disbudded them in the first week, and Jensen was banded this week. We are choosing to dam-raise them instead of bottle raise them due to my intense on call schedule right now.

We have hopes to breed both Mama and Thelma (FF) this fall but we'll see as we get closer to it.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One of my Nigerian Dwarf Goats is hopefully pregnant and due the last week of June but my luck she will adhere to the Doe's Secret Code of Honor, hold out on me, and kid while I'm out of town for the 4th of July.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
We chose nigerian dwarfs for a variety of reasons : we rent one acre, so our space is limited. We are surrounded by a subdivision in the suburbs and the ND's are quieter than other breeds we looked at for dairy, we found reputable breeders locally, less feed, great quality and quantity of milk

Our 'Mama' had her second set of twins 3 weeks ago. We have her, another doe Thelma (which was her doeling last May), and now 2 tiny additions : Colette and Jensen.

We disbudded them in the first week, and Jensen was banded this week. We are choosing to dam-raise them instead of bottle raise them due to my intense on call schedule right now.

We have hopes to breed both Mama and Thelma (FF) this fall but we'll see as we get closer to it.
Hi neighbor! And I have a Declan too! Are you anywhere near Idaho Falls? Our goats might be related.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

We just bought 5 pregnant goats. 3purebred LaMancha and 2 recorded grades. They are all registered and my kids will show them for 4-h. They are all due to kid the middle of April except one due the beginning of May.
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
Hi neighbor! And I have a Declan too! Are you anywhere near Idaho Falls? Our goats might be related.
I'm not in IF, I'm just outside of Boise. My goats are from Fuji Farms here in Nampa. I think they have a website? Though it's likely not up to date. They are Rosharan (sp?) lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ6Mommy View Post
We just bought 5 pregnant goats. 3purebred LaMancha and 2 recorded grades. They are all registered and my kids will show them for 4-h. They are all due to kid the middle of April except one due the beginning of May.
Woo.. That's fun!!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:

Yes, some breeds (umm, like Nubians LOL) can be really noisy. Our goats will yell at us from their pasture when we are outside of the house. One of them sounds like a person yelling. Thank goodness our neighbors don't mind them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
One of my Nigerian Dwarf Goats is hopefully pregnant and due the last week of June but my luck she will adhere to the Doe's Secret Code of Honor, hold out on me, and kid while I'm out of town for the 4th of July.
Yeah, 2 of mine are due the week that 2 of my boys have birthdays a day apart. Oh and the first one is due right around Easter. What do you want to bet they will all kid right when I need them NOT to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ6Mommy View Post
Oh how fun! One of the breeders we got our goats from also had LaManchas. They seemed to have great personalities. I love the Nubian long ears though