Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: What is the difference between Singapore Math U.S Ed and Standard Ed?

Double Post

Advertisement

Last edited by 7mom7; 02-25-2013 at 12:38 PM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You don't need the guide (and there isn't one) for K Essentials. It gives you instructions on the bottom of every page. I liked Essentials because it was so easy to use.

The others, we are only on 1a, almost 1b. But, I personally don't feel I need the text book at all for this level. We use it, but only because we have it and we are using it less and less as I give myself permission not to use something just because we bought it. You know how that goes. However, even though I see lots of people say you don't need it, I do feel if you don't follow what the HIG is wanting you to teach, your child may be missing the whole mental math aspect of Singapore. You can use many ways to add and subtract and such, but the HIG gives you specific methods (more than one) of doing it which is where the strong mental component comes in. I feel that if you aren't teaching the math in the manner intended, it is very possible to miss something important in the foundation and not realize it till later on. Hopefully that makes sense. And, to that end, may I just say...don't breeze over the number bonding in K thinking it isn't needed. It's important.

Bottom line, I don't think you need the text for 1a or b. I will continue to get it because I think as they get older it will become important. The text has no explanation. If you want to know the "how" you have to get the HIG.

As for price...I got all of my 1a and 1b stuff used. I happen to find the workbooks on here. One was used through only the first few pages, which we really didn't need because it was review for mine and 1b was used through about a third. Then, I realized I needed the HIG's. I just happened (God lead, I'm sure ) to find someone on Ebay selling a lot with both HIG's AND the 1b workbook which I was going to rebuy all 3 brand new! Nothing else, just the exact 3 pieces of the set I needed. I ended up getting the entire set (text, workbook and HIG, actually 2 1b workbooks, ha, ha!) of both 1a and 1b for around $45 or so. To be honest, I'm not a fan of used books, but through this, I'm becoming more open to it! I suggest looking to see if you can find it used.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-28-2013 at 07:21 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP got me too.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
7mom7
Registered Users

Thanks Heather, so I guess the "teacher guide" is more for a classroom setting?

I'm so burned out on the K book but we're still pushing through. I'll make sure we do a good job covering number bonds though. I was looking at the 1st grade sample pages and it looks MUCH better. He needs to start 1st in the fall...I'm afraid he's getting bored with what we're doing. I think he's learning good skills from reading his instructions in the book and following directions so at least that's something
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually got pretty burned out on the K book too. We didn't even finish book b fully. We moved to 1st in everything else and were going to use the MFW math that comes with the program. When we didn't like that, I moved us straight to 1a...very glad! We really are enjoying 1a SO MUCH more, even my son. I'm not really sure what is so different about it that makes it better, but it really is better. I really like it now and I'm glad we stuck with it. Yes, the guide I am saying to get is the Home Instructors Guide, not the Teacher's Guides. Those are for classroom. Sorry, I misunderstood and gave too much info. (which I usually do anyway. )
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
7mom7
Registered Users

I like lots of info! I always learn so much from this forum!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

Heather- Would you say teaching 1A & 1B with the HIG is easier than K Essentials? I tried Essentials and then just quit. I didn't find it as easy to teach since there wasn't much of instruction as to how to teach and switched to CLE Math 1. I love CLE but wanted to supplement with Singapore.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes. I'm not totally sure why, but beyond K is easier for me to teach. I think having the instructions on the bottom of the page led to me not thinking it was not very important to do anything other than the page of work. The little bit of hands on stuff was just glossed over. The HIG tells you exactly how to teach the lesson. I went from being not impressed with K Essentials to really loving Singapore after we stared 1a.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your response. Sounds like it's worth another try for me.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #20
7mom7
Registered Users