Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #21
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

Re: What is the difference between Singapore Math U.S Ed and Standard Ed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I'll have to look at the examples specifically of the Standards HIG. What you say is all included in the US Edition as well. I will admit that every now and again I have to read the HIG instructions a couple times before I understand exactly what it's trying to have me do. I assumed it was just me having been out of school for so long and not at all being a teacher yet trying to teach math. I'll have to check it out on their site.

ETA - The sample pages on the website are EXACTLY the same as mine, word for word and picture for picture including the answer key. The only difference was the page number and the pages of the textbook/workbook listed to do (but the answers were the same suggesting the corresponding work is the same as well). I have the US Edition and I was looking at the Standards example online (I double checked to make sure). So, at least I feel better now that I don't think I have an inferior HIG. I'm still not sold on which edition we should be using though.
The HIG for the US Edition and the Standards edition for 1a/1b are I believe the same, when you get to 2a and up is when the HIG is a different set up. I have the US Edition and Standards Edition of 2a/2b. I haven't read to see if the words are the same, but the set up is definitely different in the HIG, and with a quick look, I do believe there are better examples given and more specific instruction. Don't quote me though, I'll have to go take a look, but the 1a/1b US HIG is pretty much the Standards HIG, so if you like it, you likely should move on to Standards from there!

Advertisement

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #22
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is the difference between Singapore Math U.S Ed and Standard Ed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSNMama View Post
The HIG for the US Edition and the Standards edition for 1a/1b are I believe the same, when you get to 2a and up is when the HIG is a different set up. I have the US Edition and Standards Edition of 2a/2b. I haven't read to see if the words are the same, but the set up is definitely different in the HIG, and with a quick look, I do believe there are better examples given and more specific instruction. Don't quote me though, I'll have to go take a look, but the 1a/1b US HIG is pretty much the Standards HIG, so if you like it, you likely should move on to Standards from there!
Thanks! We are going to a HS conference in June. I can't wait to actually get to hold things and look at them. This is something I'll be looking to see if I can look at. Until then, I'll have to compare the online samples. We already have 1b in US. I was pretty set on staying with US, but I'm just not convinced. And, honestly, I really do need the best hand holding I can get with regard to actually teaching it. I'm not bad in math, but not confident at all in my ability to teach it or to know what they should be knowing and when. So, I need a good teacher's manual.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 03-01-2013 at 10:13 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote