Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #51
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Those pics are the bag you want? But in different fabric?

No offense to the maker of the bag but that is not so complicated to warrant that cost...and using someone else's fabric to custom make a bag vs your own instock fabric doesn't make sewing the bag harder....

Now, I'm assuming that she doesn't want to give you a discount for providing your own fabric because she is paying very little for her fabric, or she just isn't pricing her bags to factor cost of materials + time = total selling price...that would perplex me as someone who sells sewn items an actually breaks down the costs for pricing items. Maybe she is charging $50/hr for labor?? Lol! $15-$20/hr is more standard.

I also make my items to order, but I don't charge extra for that.... Lastly, 6 yards of fabric even for the most intricate pattern is absurd. There is no way that bag takes 6 yards of fabric!! Interfacing is also purchased in the weight you need, you don't need to stack it....

For all that hassle she better not have even one stitching error, crooked seam, or misaligned pattern in the whole bag! :O

I feel your pain, I really do. I have expensive taste at times and want exactly what I want, but you can find another person who can make exactly that bag from the pictures you posted (I'm assuming you have dimensions?) for much less - and someone who won't get skeeved out by using special fabric.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #52
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Re: Would you be annoyed?

Only read the first post.

Yes I would be. I would ask her to give some amount of a discount for the fact that you're sending in your own fabric. I'd expect to be discounted an average amount of what her fabric normally costs her.
If she wouldn't I'd probably find someone else to make the bag.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #53
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum
If you've not asked for a discount, why would she offer one to you? She's not doing this as a favor. She's doing this to make money. Believe it or not, there are people out there who aren't concerned with cost so the thought may have not crossed her mind to offer a discount.

ASK for one. I would bet you she will happily give one to you in order to keep your business.
I actually talked to her 2x about payment with providing my own fabric, the first time was right before I posted this (I did not ask for a specific amount off though) and then the 2nd time was when I told her I was going to pass and I told her the specific reason, she replied with the fact the custom bags are expensive.

It's not about how much she is asking for or about how much the fabric i would buy cost. Heck I just sold my daughters whole stash so my pp is loaded right now. I just don't think I should have to buy my own fabric AND pay for the fabric she provides, she supposedly uses 5yds and I would not want to pay for that part.

I'm not actually a picky person, I just know what I want and I'm willing to pay for it but I don't want to be taken advantage of.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #54
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have made TONS of bags and I have never used more than 3 yards even with a matching changing pad and accessories. But her response is completely unacceptable. You are bringing up good points and for her to dismiss them with "customs are expensive",isn't professional at all. At the very least she could have sent a reason why she needed all that yardage and a breakdown of the cost . I can tell you how much everything costs and what I need to make as a profit. I have had very expensive things made in the past and whenever I have asked about discounts they have always been more than happy to explain the pricing to me and why a discount will or won't work. I understand you are upset because you liked the bag but trust me someone who is this this difficult to work with now before you even get started will be a nightmare to work with. There is NOTHING WORSE than a $200 bag that you are too mad about to use. I bet one of the ds detectives can find what you are looking for and probably cheaper as well.

Last edited by booty hunter; 02-25-2013 at 05:09 PM.
booty hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #55
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post
The bag is $150+$15 shipping. Not including the super expensive fabric ill pay about $25+$10 shipping to get her the fabric so if I don't get a discount it would be $200 or so plus my special fabric
Omgoodness that is RIDICULOUS!!! Glad you decided to find someone else to make the bag!
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #56
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post
I actually talked to her 2x about payment with providing my own fabric, the first time was right before I posted this (I did not ask for a specific amount off though) and then the 2nd time was when I told her I was going to pass and I told her the specific reason, she replied with the fact the custom bags are expensive.

It's not about how much she is asking for or about how much the fabric i would buy cost. Heck I just sold my daughters whole stash so my pp is loaded right now. I just don't think I should have to buy my own fabric AND pay for the fabric she provides, she supposedly uses 5yds and I would not want to pay for that part.

I'm not actually a picky person, I just know what I want and I'm willing to pay for it but I don't want to be taken advantage of.
Then I guess you've answered your own question. Good luck in your search!
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #57
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

wait. the question would be "would you be annoyed".

yeah - I suppose a bit but I'd move on to someone who wanted my money.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #58
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum View Post
wait. the question would be "would you be annoyed".

yeah - I suppose a bit but I'd move on to someone who wanted my money.
Exactly! That is the part that is strange to me. I have worked with several seamstresses and no one has ever not been nice when we were talking money. Maybe op should send her a link to this thread.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #59
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I would expect some sort of discount for the fabric. I hope you're able to find something you like.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #60
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
That bag is pretty, but I think its overpriced compared to some others I've seen on Etsy. The fact that she refuses to discount you for providing your own fabric is a deal breaker, IMO.
Mama*Kim is online now   Reply With Quote