Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
med98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Chicken Pox Vax'd Kids Who Get Chicken Pox?

Just wondering if there's anyone who can share their experiences? We vax'd our DD for chicken pox and a classmate and her siblings (not vax'd) have chicken pox now. The girl and my DD are good friends, so I'm wondering if my DD will get them (kind of hoping she will ) Anywho, she has had a low-grade fever now for 2 days and has a sore throat. Coincidence? Or should I expect some spots to show up?

Please share your experiences with this if your child was vax'd for them and got it anyway. Thanks

Advertisement

I am a child of the Living God, a loving wife to DH on 10/10/98, I am also aing, SAHMama to DD 4/8/05 and DS 10/10/08
med98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
med98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Pox Vax'd Kids Who Get Chicken Pox?

Curious about the symptoms kiddos get with the outbreak

I am a child of the Living God, a loving wife to DH on 10/10/98, I am also aing, SAHMama to DD 4/8/05 and DS 10/10/08
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's been about 10 years. But, at that time, every single kid in my daycare who had the shot, also got the chicken pox eventually. But, they had a mild, easy case. It was like a minor annoyance more than an actual illness.

The symptoms are always the same. Mild cold symptoms, then about three days later you notice a spot or two on the warmest parts of the body. For some kids, that's on the back of the head/neck (from sleeping) for some kids it's in the belly area or groin.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 02-25-2013 at 09:53 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
med98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Interesting! Thanks for the info! The mama of the kids that have it now (DD's friend's mama) said that she has no clue where her kids picked it up, she's glad they are getting it though so they don't have to struggle with it later. But she also said sge thinks someone with shingles could have exposed them. I didn't know that could happen I guess.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Two of my nephews got the vax and still got them. One had a mild case, low fever and a few spots, the other was quite a bit worse...he had tons of spots and seemed to take forever to recover.

I wish my kids would get them.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
med98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do too! We didn't vax our DS so I *really* want him to get them now while he's young

Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
PBPMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had chicken pox at 21 years old. I had no idea there was a vaccine (it was new at the time). I was very sore and achy with a fever. I was covered in the spots after the second day. I was extremely sick for about a week and had scabs from the spots for a month (they were very bad). I got them from my boyfriend who had an outbreak of shingles.

I hope your son gets them young. It was miserable having them when I was older but thankfully it happened during Christmas break at college or else it would have really messed up my semester.
PBPMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

This fall my (then 13yr old) dd showed up with spos on her face and neck on a thursday...I thought they might be acne break out...which was odd since she usues good face wash/routine and swims so she is always washing her face. Saturday morning they all had "popped" which I got mad at her caus eI thought she was picking on them...she swore she didn't. I took her in Monday cause I wasn't convinced she would have such weir acne spots and if it was acne I figured she needed some serious face cream to help her...it looked BAD....the Dr. couldn't figure out what it was, agreed it wasn't acne, thought it was a staph infection of sorts....she had 2 doses of the pox vaccine, we never suspected chicken pox.....Wed I took the 5 yr old in for his well baby check up(a month late)....he had about 4 or 5 spots on his face as well...dr. again suspected staph or something, he had 1 shot of the pox vaccine as well. .....fast forward to friday, the baby (12months) is covered in spots...I take her in and the dr goes...oh wow those are chicken pox....they baby was one week away from getting the first pox vaccine...then it all clicks that the other kids had chicken pox too but their response/rash was different cause they had the vaccine previously. NONE of them had noticible fevers and the baby was the only one that I believe itched. Emma, 4, never seemed to get spots, she had one shot of the vaccine, lives in the same house etc.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DS was vax'd. He got maybe a dozen spots on each leg, less then 10 on his hands and stomach. They never itched and never scabbed. He had a mild fever for a few days.

A few days (maybe a week) later my DH (who had the vaccination when he was a teen) came down with an even more mild case.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So what's the point of the vax, then?

Now all these kids who have gotten the pox are at risk of developing shingles as adults. To me, the whole point of the vax is to prevent shingles, which can be much more miserable and problematic than the pox.

I hope my kid never gets the pox, because shingles is nasty and painful.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote