Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to set my Dylon dye???

I just dyed a white A& A cotton blanket with some Dylon dye. It is beautiful and I am in love! However, I can't get the dye to stop bleeding...

Here is what I have done-

1) Followed package directions for dying in the sink

2) washed in washing machine on warm with detergent - twice

3) soaked in washing machine with cold water with 2 cups of vinegar

So....what do I need to do from here? More washing? Hot water?

I have this vague memory from the one other time I dyed something, that I boiled it in hot water with vinegar, but everything online was saying cold water????

Any help would be appreciated - I have 2 more blankets to do and would love to avoid wasting this much time and water!!

Advertisement

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to set my Dylon dye???

Did you put salt in your dye bath?
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think vinegar is best used as a setting agent when you are using acid dyes (ie for protein fibers like wool). What type of Dylon did you use? And did you use more than the necessary amount for the fabric you were dyeing? If you used Cold Water or Permanent Dylon, the dye already has the fixative mixed in with the dye. However if you used say, 3 packets to dye one small burp rag (as an example), then the concentration of dye would be so intense that even with the fixative and MANY rinses, it will still bleed simply because the color is so concentrated.

Also, did you allow the dyebath to sit an appropriate amount of time? You want the dye to sit long enough that it exhausts itself in the bath and the fabric has fully absorbed the dye and fixative to permanently bond the color to the fabric.

The only thing I can think of to fix this is to put the blanket in a bath of water and soda ash (which can be purchased a Dharma, or locally at a pool store) - at LEAST 1 tsp of soda ash per cup of water. Let it sit several hours, then rinse on cold, then wash on HOT in the washer - this should help draw out whatever dye is left unbonded. Then dry as usual.

Good luck! So frustrating when that happens!

TakaraBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmmm...good thoughts

I used the packet from joanns - one packet for one A&A blanket and a prefold (pkg says one packet does 8 oz fabric). So, I don't think I used too much dye for the amount of fabric.]=

I did put salt in the dye bath.

I just did a cold soak/wash with vinegar followed by a boiling hot soak with vinegar - that worked!!

I am on my second blanket - putting it straight into the boiling hot soak with vinegar. Will see if that will work.

If they still bleed after this, I will stop at a pool store.

Thanks

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote