Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Hoppinmom
Registered Users

Best way to store breast milk?

Did you figure out a good way to store breast milk? I used the milk storage bags and it seems they would get holes in them very frequently! Please help this momma out for baby#2 that's due in June. Thanks!

Advertisement

Hoppinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
NovemberRain
Registered Users

Re: Best way to store breast milk?

I found after trying several things the best for me was the Medela 2 oz storage bottles with the yellow caps.
NovemberRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
NovemberRain
Registered Users

I tried the playtex thing where you could pump directly into the bags, but it seemed to make the suction ridiculously weak.
NovemberRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used to make milk ice cubes. Each cube was about 1 oz. I would make a large gallon size bag for each month. But I didn't have a lot left over to freeze. I liked to use fresh milk first, then anything that over at the end of the week would go in the freezer.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Expensive, but I use the lansinoh storage bags and then do this:

http://greenlitebites.com/2011/06/02...-milk-storage/
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used Lansinoh storage bags. When I was preggo with DS, I came across several reviews that people mentioned ensuring you lay it flat in the freezer until it was frozen before storing upright to prevent tears or holes in the bags. So after the milk was frozen, I then stored them in gallon sized ziploc bags by month. I don't remember ever having a problem with losing milk to leaks from tears. If I did maybe once or twice?

ETA: I pumped into bottles and then emptied the bottles I was going to freeze (vs store in fridge) into the storage bags.

Last edited by momma_dna; 02-25-2013 at 10:17 PM.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

DDC but I used medela but also love the medela storage bottles
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
kacylaine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Very good to know. This is what I had planned on but I have plenty of time to re-plan!
kacylaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used Lansinoh in the past, I would put them in a bin and lay them flat until they were frozen and then transfer them to big tote in the deep freeze. Very few leaks, but I would thaw them in a cup so that if they leaked, I could still use the milk. I plan to store more milk in the fridge this time around vs freezing, so I will store milk in bottles, but anything I end up freezing will probably be in medela bags simply because I am getting a bunch for free. :-) (I have read freezing does kill some of the good stuff in the milk. Last time I pumped and froze and rotated, the whole nine yards, this time I plan to freeze extra instead of pumping to freeze if that makes sense.)
Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
stephbrown13
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_dna View Post
I used Lansinoh storage bags. When I was preggo with DS, I came across several reviews that people mentioned ensuring you lay it flat in the freezer until it was frozen before storing upright to prevent tears or holes in the bags. So after the milk was frozen, I then stored them in gallon sized ziploc bags by month. I don't remember ever having a problem with losing milk to leaks from tears. If I did maybe once or twice?

ETA: I pumped into bottles and then emptied the bottles I was going to freeze (vs store in fridge) into the storage bags.
This exactly. Same bags, same method

I tried out tons of different bags with DS1, but the Lansinoh were the only ones that didn't leak. Out of literally thousands of bags, I think 2 or 3 ended up with holes.
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote