Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Past due and waiting, questions.

I'm at 40 weeks 5 days right now. Was checked this morning and am at 1.5 cm, 50% effaced, baby positioned at negative 2. The midwife didn't say anything about anterior/posterior.

Does that seem like things are moving along ok or should I be doing more to help it along? I try to walk when I can and drink rrl tea. Sex isn't really an option right now since dh is squeezing in last minute ot at work.

Second child, btw. The first one arrived right on time, so this is new territory for me.

Advertisement

marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Past due and waiting, questions.

Ladybug was 40 + 6. I wouldn't worry about it, esp if your midwife hasn't said anything. You could try castor oil once it gets past 41 weeks, but really your due date is somewhere between 37 and 42 weeks, that's a pretty big window!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Do you have elevated risk factors? If you are worried or nervous, you could go for NSTs.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't worry about baby being a -2 still, as second (and subsequent) babies tend not to "drop" until the onset of labor.

My general "go to" recommendations for clients who are anxious to encourage labor are chiropractic adjustments (with someone trained/experienced with pregnant women), sex (I know you said DH is busy, but self-stimulation to orgasm would work physiologically the same... If that's something you & DH would be ok with), and relaxing. :-).
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand what you're feeling now, because my first was also born at 40 weeks almost exactly, but my second was 41 weeks. FWIW, I did try some things to get labor started, but when he was born (on his own schedule) it was obvious that he just wasn't ready to come out yet, and I regretted my trying to rush him. I caved to the pressure of my mom staying with us until the birth, yada yada.

Anyway...it's good to remember that your baby has their own timeline, and really cervix checking tells you nothing. I had my midwife check me the night before my son was born because I had some weird sensations I will spare you describing, and I was the same as I had been 1.5 weeks earlier. I woke up 4 hours later in labor and he was born in 2.5 hours. So cervix checking tells you nothing really about when the baby will be born, and trust that the baby will come when it's ready. But I understand how hard that is.
I walked, sat on the ball constantly, took caulophyllum, ate spicy food, DTD, lots of RRL tea. I didn't do any oils like EPO or borage oil, but obviously they weren't necessary anyway.
That's just my experience.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #6
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

My second was born at 42 weeks, the night before I was to be induced. I was at 2cm for weeks, then went to 7cm in a half hour. Labor was two hours start to finish. I tried everything, but God's timing was different.

My third was 39 weeks, though!

My mom likes to say that "God is never late." Which is never what I want to hear, but it's true.
I love my Jesus
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

labor could start at any time- be patient! there's no true way to know when you will go into labor and you can't really make it happen yourself. good luck!!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:

I have been at -2 position still upon getting to the hospital each time. It's just how I carry mine. Once labor gets going, it all happens the way it's supposed to.

Hang in there, mama!