Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have a child with (CAS) Childhood Apraxia of Speech?

My son is almost two and a half. He isn't yet 3 so his SLP and our Dr. are hesitant to make a full diagnosis. We've seen two SLP and our family doctor and all agree that it appears to be apraxia. He has been in speech therapy twice a week for the past four months. He has made some progress. He did only have one clear word before and now has about 5. He has started to babble more and is learning some letter sounds. However, it's so difficult for him to say and express even that. Full tantrums are an hourly occurrence. He does know some sign language (about 50+ signs he regularly uses), but he is still so frustrated.

He was fully tested through hearing and LAP testing. His hearing we will be retested again in a few months. He wasn't cooperative during the screening but all the tones that they were worried about are there. However, insurance won't approve another test until next year, since the first ruled no extreme hearing loss. The LAP testing showed no signs of autism but severe language/speech delay but comprehension levels were above average.

I'm just struggling. I see my little boy wanting to communicate but not able to. He is starting to understand that he is different than other children his age and is frustrated by it. He grunts through so many stories...I just wish I could understand them.

Not sure what I'm asking for. I'm just really having a hard-time with it. Not really sure if I should be doing more?

Advertisement

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a child with (CAS) Childhood Apraxia of Speech?

I'm so sorry mama

I know the frustration too...my dd however doesn't qualify for speech because they count signs as words when they tested her and at the time she knew more signs then words. But within the past few weeks she is slowly slowly picking up words. She finally said Mama to me the other day

I don't know what else I can offer to you but
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When we did the evaluation he actually didn't know many signs only "all-done, more, sorry". I didn't do much signing with him before, just the basic 6-7 signs for eating. I regret that now. He'd started talking then lost tons of words. We thought, "Oh, he's just storing them." But they never came back and it was a struggle for something that was there.

Thank you for reminding me that all his signs are progress as well! That makes me feel much better. Sometimes I feel like it's so slow and so difficult.

I was so proud of him for attempting to say cheese. All day today he would say "Mum..chee" then sign, cheese and more. I have a feeling I was so rewarding of his efforts he will be constipated tomorrow.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just repeat, repeat, repeat. You will end up thinking your crazy but it soooo works!

and rewards are always good ... well not ones that lead to pooey problems
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Apraxia is tough. It is a motor planning disorder, completely different than a child with a regular speech disorder. He has trouble organizing his brain and his mouth to be on the same page. Progress is much slower than a traditional speech disorder, and treatment is different. I've heard good things from families about PROMPT therapy, but don't know much.

I would keep up with the sign!! He needs a way to express himself, and though it won't necessarily improve his speech directly, it will encourage language development. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Bellaroo
Registered Users

My son is two and was just diagnosed with a mild-moderate developmental delay. Our SLP won't rule out an oral-motor issue at this point but is leaning towards severe ear infections and sporadic loss of hearing (currently his hearing is perfect but she doubts it was when he was between 15 and 20 months old). All this to say, I understand about the frustration your DS has when he can't communicate. It's heartbreaking knowing that your child wants something but you don't know what it is or how to help.

I don't think that there is anything more you should be doing. Just keep at it and know that you aren't alone.

ETA: I should add that my son has about 5 words he says consistently and only 5 signs so far. Our SLP wants us to push signing so that's our plan of action right now. We trust her judgment in using the signs for now but my DH and I just really want to hear our son talk!

Last edited by Bellaroo; 09-23-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Bellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the support and comments! It's just been a difficult year and I recently lost my dad (3 weeks ago). So I think I'm very stressed and emotional with everything.

I have met a few other moms with toddlers with speech delays in the area. One of which we are trading babysitting with our older children while the younger ones are in speech. We are in a small community though and so I haven't ran into anyone with apraxia yet. However, our Early Learning Services (Ages 0-3 DD group) is having a area wide get together this weekend. Hopefully, I'll met someone there.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
jabmmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 4yo has very severe apraxia of speech. I was certain that that was the problem ( as well as dyspraxia) before he was officially diagnosed. It took us over a year to get him into the pediatric neurologist who confirmed my diagnosis and also told me that his was one of the most severe cases he has ever seen. He was 39 months when we last saw him and he received his official diagnosis. He had already been receiving OT, PT, spec Ed teacher and speech 4 days/week. After a year of regular speech therapy did nothing for him, I asked for a PROMPT trained therapist and he made a lot of progress during that time. Before she started, he could only make the "m" sound (which I taught him by placing a thin piece of plastic between his lips and physically pushing them together to teach him how to make that sound). By the end of the year w/ the PROMPT therapist, he was able to say a fair amount of words although they were mostly just close approximations. His OT used therapeutic listening with him and kept going to higher and higher levels with him and hesitated to use the highest level with him but did and literally, what seemed to be overnight after starting it, he could all of a sudden start mimicking words. It was like a switch was flipped in his brain. He was unable to do this before. His next appt. w/ the neurlologist if this November and I think he will be shocked with his progress as we all are (including his therapists).
I would highly recommend getting a PROMPT trained therapist if that's what you think is going on and I would try to find an OT trained in the therapeutic listening. It doesn't work for everyone and the results can vary a lot but my guy was just one of the lucky ones it worked for. One speech app I recommend if you have an iPad is speech stickers. It's great for apraxia kids who are unable to make many sounds/sound combinations. Another app that might encourage them to try to make some sounds is talkingtom. My son has been talking for about three months now but is still shy about talking at times and will whisper if he doesn't feel confident in his speech so we have to encourage him to talk and speak at a normal volume which I think in turn encourages more speech especially when we can understand him which still isn't 100% of the time. PM me if you have any questions, I'm happy to share any info I have.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is what I'm wondering. Should I ask for a pediatric neurologist referral? He is 29 months old. Not sure if I should try to get something now since it's going to be about 5-6 months out for an appt. I'm just not sure how aggressive to be at this stage. I thought most don't normally officially diagnose until 36 months. However, wondering if I need to follow through with an MRI or any other testing at this point.

We are in the process of changing to a new family practitioner. Our wonderful one is moving his practice to be closer to his aging parents. This is his last week in town. I worry that our next Dr. won't take this as seriously. I just don't know her style as well.

Off to go look for those apps. We don't have an iPad but do have an iPhone and an iPod Touch.

I looked into PROMPT trained therapists. There aren't any even remotely close to us. Although, I do feel like our current one is a pretty good fit just wondering if we need to increase the amount of sessions.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducko
This is what I'm wondering. Should I ask for a pediatric neurologist referral? He is 29 months old. Not sure if I should try to get something now since it's going to be about 5-6 months out for an appt. I'm just not sure how aggressive to be at this stage. I thought most don't normally officially diagnose until 36 months. However, wondering if I need to follow through with an MRI or any other testing at this point.

We are in the process of changing to a new family practitioner. Our wonderful one is moving his practice to be closer to his aging parents. This is his last week in town. I worry that our next Dr. won't take this as seriously. I just don't know her style as well.

Off to go look for those apps. We don't have an iPad but do have an iPhone and an iPod Touch.

I looked into PROMPT trained therapists. There aren't any even remotely close to us. Although, I do feel like our current one is a pretty good fit just wondering if we need to increase the amount of sessions.
With Apraxia, I say push for more frequent sessions. As far as a neurologist, it wouldn't hurt to check. You can also have apraxia in other areas, such as gross and fine motor. That's what Id want a neurologist to look into. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote