Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
HippieMoonMommy
Registered Users

Autism regression

How do you deal with it? DS is 4.5 and this is our first obvious regression. He is back in diapers, hitting/kicking (he is only recently verbal), meltdowns have increased and frustration tolerance decreased.

Kind words desperately needed!

Advertisement

HippieMoonMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Autism regression

I'm sorry you aren't getting any responses...wish the SN forum was a bit more active. I don't have a kiddo with Autism but just wanted to offer Hoping someone will have some advice. We worked with a nutritionist and I'll never forget she told me a story about a little boy regressing and she had his family to feed him nothing but green food/juice and he pulled out of it. That might be pretty tricky with a 4 year old though. DS1 has some serious health issues related to his GI that are very similar to what kids with autism deal with...the nutritionist was really helpful for us. We also see a pediatrician that specializes in kids with autism...I feel like DS1 would have certainly gone down that road if not for her help.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

No real advice but I understand how hard it can be. We are currently starting DS on meds for ADHD and trying to find the right combo is so hard and I feel so overwhelmed sometimes. Hope someone with more experience can give you some great advice
Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hang in there, regression is hard, but look at his environment to see if anything has changed, has there been an upset in his routine? It could be developmental, he could be going through a growth spurt. Patience and pull out the tools you used before and start again with them. I know what you are going through, we're in the middle of a regression in behaviour here too.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hugs mama! Hope it ends soon. Do you have a family therapist you work with? DS sees a psychologist weekly for family therapy at a large mental health practice. It is helping us a lot in dealing with DS's behaviors, and also how to cope with parenting a frustrating child, and sibling interaction with DS.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
chillimom
Registered Users

want to throw in there too - check for ear infections. So many autistic kiddos are prone to them and they will cause regression (due to pain). My DS as a little guy would always regress if he had one.

(((hugs)))
chillimom is offline   Reply With Quote