Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What to take? Going from 3200 sq feet to 1000 ish...

If you could start over and move what would you take?
Help me out!!
I am so overwhelmed.
I have an office and sewing room plus an attic, 2 bathrooms, a huge closet and master, kids room with closet, large laundry room, good sized kitchen. To:

2 small bedrooms with 2 small closets. A small laundry area. A small attic, small kitchen no dining.
No office.no sewing room.

Things like the vacuum, the vacuum food saver, the mixer...

Help!?

Advertisement

Last edited by Numommy; 02-27-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Re: What to take? Going from 3200 sq feet to 1000 ish...

How long do you have before you move? If you have a little while, I would start immediately determining what you actually use on a regular basis. Maybe make a running list of everything you have and check off each time you use something. For me, vacuum would definitely be a yes -- but if you don't have carpet on your new floors then I would switch to no. Food saver is a no for me, but might be something you use a ton. Mixer I would keep a small hand mixer and get rid of a big countertop mixer, but again, it depends on what you actually use.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

I agree with pp. start making lists of what you use.

Vacuum would be a yea, food saver a no. Hand mixer no. Kitchen aid yes.

Look for things to take that do double duty.

For the office you can get a file box from Office Depot. Trash all stuff you don't use. If you have a laptop don't do a desk. My printer is in my closet user my hanging clothes. It is wireless so I don't need to plus it in all the time. Ditch the typical office setting. One of the best things we did. No advice if you have a desktop except maybe upgrade to a laptop and a few external hard rives you can store somewhere if needed.

My bed is fairly high so I use milk crates for all my fabric. They slide under nice. Utilize under the bed for storage.

Ep
Due with #2 2/14/16
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My enter button is not working.... so lots of dashes.... We close March 15th. They put in an offer Monday night. The inspection is Saturday. - Okay so I am just gonna put it out there! This is a bit of a confessional. I need help. - I have a laptop and the printer is wireless, thanks for the heads up on that The mixer is a Bosche mixer, that I do like, but it is big. We use it about once a month. The food saver is a no, I never use it. But it was like $150 bucks plus the bags that I still have.---Do I chunk or try to sell?-- - That hurts, there is so much like that, that I know we need to chunk- furniture, electronics, clothes. Do I just give it away? <<<SIGH>>> I should not have bought it. - Things like- I bought the whole dang FIAR set for the kids. I even got some of the rare books, do I toss that? or all the other books? they have well over 100, maybe even more. My DD has 27 dolls in the living room today. That is all she plays with, but she has more in her room. Do I just take dolls and no other toys for her and the boys toys that he plays with? - I have a laminator that I only use, oh every 6 months or so....do I chunk it? This is nice stuff...If I want, I buy...I am very embarrassed tbh.

Last edited by Numommy; 02-27-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do I pack everything that we use and take it over, and then sort the rest out? That seems almost the way, but I just.do.not.know.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

If you can get a lot of help with the move then you have probably a week to sell before you must begin packing and just pitching or donating what you are not taking. If you only use something twice a year and can either not use it or borrow from a friend get rid of it. My sewing machine is kept in a closet when not in use.

Toys determine how much room each child will have for his or her toys. Then get them a box of equivalent size. Have them fill it with the toys they want the most. Explain to them anything that does not fit will be passed to other children. Assuming your kids are old enough to make this decision and not toddlers they will likely accept downsizing better if at least that much is in their own hands. A toddler isn't likely to care as much as long as his or her favorite toy is present.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Are you moving to a new town? Will you have family or friends to help pack and unpack?

How many kids do you have?

How much free time do you normally have? Like once you are all settled?

How tight is money?

I think our recs are going to depend on those things....Like if you have just the one DD and plenty of free time, and money is tight, then I would start itemizing the pricy stuff and plan on listing it here FSOT, on ebay and amazon after you move.

I would also set limits....Like you have to use it at least once every ___ days to keep it, and you will give to Goodwill anything worth less than ___ dollars. Try to establish things on paper first. It takes emotion away.

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-27-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Will you have a garage or some sort of storage? If so, I would say definitely try and purge as much as you can while packing, but then do not unpack it all into your new place. Leave it all in the garage, and then after a month or two, go through a box a month (or more if you can), and see what you really need to keep, and what you can toss. I've been doing this, and I was sure I would need so much (ha ha ha)... but it's turned out I was wrong! Good luck on the move!

Also, with the office stuff, digitize as much as you can. Cuts down on the clutter SO much!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

After we move we have to build a shop for DHs work stuff. We will be in debt for that only- totally- debt free except for that (HAPPY FREAKING DANCE!!!!). I work 2 days a week and take 6 hours college classes online. So time isn't a huge crunch either. I have a 3 year old daughter- 4 in July, and a 2 year old boy. Same town, about 5 miles away.

Last edited by Numommy; 02-27-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numommy View Post
Do I pack everything that we use and take it over, and then sort the rest out? That seems almost the way, but I just.do.not.know.
Packing and moving is a pain in the hind end. If you can help it do not take with anything you are not planning on keeping. It will get in the way of unpacking. Especially if you are going to a smaller place like you are. In particular a place a quarter the size of your current home.

We are at the tail end of moving right now. Although our living space is actually bigger our storage space is much less. We had a garage and a shed. Now we have neither shed nor garage. We pitched a lot of things. Some of which we have been holding onto for many years. I am not even the kind to save things. Just that when you are in a place long enough you think I'll go through that later and later you just forget about it.