Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to take? Going from 3200 sq feet to 1000 ish...

There will be some storage down stairs it is a basement that has stuff in it now, and is pretty dusty and moist. We will have to see how suitable it is for storage right now...........What I wanted to do, but DH does not, is put all the bedrooms and closets in the basement, all three and have the two rooms upstairs for the kids and the sewing room. I sew- alot- and my DD does that with me.

Advertisement

Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok Breathe. I know it seems very daunting at this point.

I can tell you two things as someone who has moved frequently and is a newbie to minimalism.

First, like taking off a band-aid, it will really HURT to purge large volumes of stuff, particularly the things you paid a lot for or were expensive gifts. But the pain is short lived. I promise two months from now you will not be able to remember half of what you purged, and you will feel like a great burden has lifted. So as you are purging, remember that.

Second, DON'T move anything into the new home you don't love and use. DON'T think you will have time to go through it later. Rip off the band-aid NOW, or you will have a new smaller home packed with stuff you don't have time to go through. IMHO for me it was easier to donate large amounts of stuff as quickly as possible so I didn't have second thoughts, even things that might get me some money in being sold. Because you have such a short window to pack and move, my guess is your time is worth more than what it would take to sell the more expensive stuff.

What I would do is empty out a room you won't have in the new place, like the office or the sewing room, purging most of it, so you have a staging area for packed boxes. If you can, purge and empty the other room not in the new place and stick all the stuff to donate there. Then as you pack, you only pack what will fit in the new place. So like if you only have 3 feet of closet pole in the new place, only pack what will fit on that pole, purge the rest. If you have ten cabinets in the kitchen, pack only ten boxes of kitchen stuff, purge the rest. What worked well for me was to spend my time filling up the purge area and having DH take it to donate it daily so I wouldn't change my mind. If you have the luxury of days of overlapping two homes, you can fill the new place as you move stuff, so you know when you can't bring any more of one room's items.

I found what was helpful for me was to pack the toys I was taking (that will fit in the new space) and only have a few out during the moving process The kids won't miss it for two weeks. I also found it helpful to pack the kitchen first, eat on paper plates during that time, and only have a skillet, a large saucepan, a casserole pan, a mixing bowl, a spatula, a chef knife, and a large spoon to make easy quick meals during that time. The kitchen takes a long time to go through, and if you have to wrap everything in paper/etc to go to the new place, that takes forever. If you don't have to wrap it, you can transport a lot of it in the dishwasher rack, laundry baskets, and shopping bags for the short ride over.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think sticking to a number rules is best. like 6 towels, 4 hand towels, 2 wash cloths.
8 dishes, 8 spoons, 8 forks, etc
I hate to keep any electric kitchen thing we only use 1-4 times a yr. out it goes. borrow if you need one then. sell and make money off it.

clothing for kids: 10 pants, 20 shirts, 12 undies. basically you dont need alot. same with storage dressers. I bought cheap ikea twin slat beds and we put baskets under to store toys, legos, even bed sheets.

you can do it. while packing you will realize how much junk you have and what you can do w out
Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numommy View Post
There will be some storage down stairs it is a basement that has stuff in it now, and is pretty dusty and moist. We will have to see how suitable it is for storage right now...........What I wanted to do, but DH does not, is put all the bedrooms and closets in the basement, all three and have the two rooms upstairs for the kids and the sewing room. I sew- alot- and my DD does that with me.
Ah. That would never work for us. Firstly, because my youngest has asthma and I wouldn't risk the dust/moisture/furnace fumes/etc in the place he sleeps every night, and would not be thrilled about that for the rest of us either. Second, because in the risk of fire there are fewer ways out, particularly if you don't have an egress window (and it is against our building codes for that reason). I can tell you though our basement works GREAT as a playroom. They can mess it up all they want and no one that stops by has to see it. It's big enough if I wanted to put an office or sewing room down there I could. But I understand wanting windows and light where you spend your day too. It's all about dual functioning furniture and hidden storage in small spaces - it is totally possible to have play space and sewing space upstairs without devoting two whole rooms to it.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I agree with cherylchoo.

Also agree with homebirthmom. Establish numbers for things. You are a family of four. You need 8 bath towels, 4 hand towels for every bathroom, 2 sheet sets for each bed, a quilt nd winter blanket for each bed, 4-6 bed pillows, 8-12 sets of dishes and silverware (depending on if you have a dishwasher at the new house), 10 tops and 5 bottoms for each person for each season, 10 pairs of socks and undies per person, etc.

Sit down today and make your lists. Go over it with your DH tonite. Go "shopping" among your possessions and pack up only those things starting tomorrow. Purge stuff as you go--toss it in boxes to donate.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

This is off topic, but if you want to sell the FIAR books please pm me I openly admit my inability to minimize homeschool books

I agree with purging before the move. It will be painful and may seem daunting, but envision your new home. Do you want to feel the burden of knowing you have tons of items in boxes stowed away that need going through? Or would you prefer to begin fresh in a minimal and organized space so that you can enjoy making your new house a home with the people you love?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I saw this office in a box on an organizing blog I follow and I think it's a genius idea for folks who don't have an whole room to dedicate to an office. I am going to do one for myself. While we do have an office, it is dh's room and he does use it to work at home. There isn't any room for me to set up shop in there so an office in a box is a great solution for me.

http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com...ce-in-box.html

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks. I am really brad storming about the sleeping situation. I dont think I am ok w anyone sleeping downstairs. But putting the sewing room and play room and a tv down there sounds good. Do I put the kids in one room and Dh and I in the other or put us me and the kids in one room and dh In the other? Me and kids sleep together 99% of time. We have a day bed w trundle that is separate now for the kids... Do that or do a full size bed w trundle.....???
Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

How you set up your bedrooms depends on your lifestyle. If you sleep with the kids 99% of the time I would make sure there is enough sleeping space in one of the bedrooms for all of you and then set up the other for you dh. Maybe put a small table/desk area in dh's room as well. Good luck with it all! I know moving can be hectic. You can do it!!
Mama to Ria 5/08, Wyatt 10/14/11 and expecting #3 in April.
specialdelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
thanks everyone. I am so glad I started this thread.