Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to take? Going from 3200 sq feet to 1000 ish...

I, too, like the numbers idea as it'll help you downsize with a more matter of fact eye. As I don't have any other helpful ideas, I wanted to send a 'good luck' your way. Downsizing from over 3K sq ft to 1K has got to be a great undertaking but I bet you'll feel pretty cool afterwards as you'll be less bogged down by stuff.

Advertisement

Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If I go take photos of the new space will y'all help me sort this out? Can I put DH and all his stuff in the basement storage part ?

Someone said bed risers, anyone know how tall I can get a bed to go? I want to put my sons trundle under our bed. It need 17-18 inches of clearance.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
Ok Breathe. I know it seems very daunting at this point.

I can tell you two things as someone who has moved frequently and is a newbie to minimalism.

First, like taking off a band-aid, it will really HURT to purge large volumes of stuff, particularly the things you paid a lot for or were expensive gifts. But the pain is short lived. I promise two months from now you will not be able to remember half of what you purged, and you will feel like a great burden has lifted. So as you are purging, remember that.

Second, DON'T move anything into the new home you don't love and use. DON'T think you will have time to go through it later. Rip off the band-aid NOW, or you will have a new smaller home packed with stuff you don't have time to go through. IMHO for me it was easier to donate large amounts of stuff as quickly as possible so I didn't have second thoughts, even things that might get me some money in being sold. Because you have such a short window to pack and move, my guess is your time is worth more than what it would take to sell the more expensive stuff.

What I would do is empty out a room you won't have in the new place, like the office or the sewing room, purging most of it, so you have a staging area for packed boxes. If you can, purge and empty the other room not in the new place and stick all the stuff to donate there. Then as you pack, you only pack what will fit in the new place. So like if you only have 3 feet of closet pole in the new place, only pack what will fit on that pole, purge the rest. If you have ten cabinets in the kitchen, pack only ten boxes of kitchen stuff, purge the rest. What worked well for me was to spend my time filling up the purge area and having DH take it to donate it daily so I wouldn't change my mind. If you have the luxury of days of overlapping two homes, you can fill the new place as you move stuff, so you know when you can't bring any more of one room's items.

I found what was helpful for me was to pack the toys I was taking (that will fit in the new space) and only have a few out during the moving process The kids won't miss it for two weeks. I also found it helpful to pack the kitchen first, eat on paper plates during that time, and only have a skillet, a large saucepan, a casserole pan, a mixing bowl, a spatula, a chef knife, and a large spoon to make easy quick meals during that time. The kitchen takes a long time to go through, and if you have to wrap everything in paper/etc to go to the new place, that takes forever. If you don't have to wrap it, you can transport a lot of it in the dishwasher rack, laundry baskets, and shopping bags for the short ride over.
Just re-reading, and this is all great advice!!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #24
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the pp, lots of wonderful advice in that post.

I read through this thread last night as we are in a very similar situation, we are putting our house on the market May 1, and moving to a much smaller place-and I am panicing-seriously. I can totally relate your situation right now.

I did a large purge 2 years ago, and got rid of quite a bit, last year I had a dumpster delivered and got rid of some more, but somehow, it has all filtered back in

I wish I had some advice but I don't, I'm just following along for some great tips.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Still reading and going through...
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

A different approach, but if there is still that you are iffy about, pack it separately in a box. Don't put iffy kitchen items in with essential kitchen items, because then the iffy items will end upp in your kitchen you unpack. Label all the iffy boxes and leave them in garage (wherever) when you move and DON"T UNPACK THEM. Live in your new house for 6 months and when you go to unpack these iffy boxes, you'll laugh at what you thought you needed but really didn't.

Good luck! We're undertaking a move in another month or two and I'm getting overwhelmed with what needs to be done, and I've been purging for at least a year! And we aren't even going down in space.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #27
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks. That's a great idea. I'm struggling with pictures right now. We have a termite inspection tomorrow and I'm such a mess. I have convinced myself that this house has termites and I should wait to pack anymore. Although its three yrs old and no sign of anything at all. And Dh the forestry major man says no way pack and calm down.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Books are so worth keeping in my opinion, we own a lot. Best thing about books it they can be on shelves up on the wall in bedrooms. Line each room with a row or two of shelves for books, way up close to the ceiling, (yes you might need a step stool to get them) Then keep a smaller book shelf in reach for children and rotate the books our as you please. In this house books are worth millions.

2nd, I used to have a sewing room, but not anymore, I purchased a fold up table and many rubbermaid totes. They are all stored in the garage and I pull out what I need when I work on a project. Some days I leave the table up in the living room for weeks, other times just a day or two. Also get rid of all the extra fabric you have lying around, this is hard I know. But it needs to be done. Only buy fabric specifically for the project you are working on, no extra, no matter how cute it is.

Bunk beds? Get a set of bunk beds for the kids, would probably be easier then a trundle under your bed, and you can find bunk beds with attached drawers that act like a dresser, so you wouldnt need to have a separate dresser.

Toys: downsize for sure, limit your daughter to 5-10 dolls, have her pick out which ones and tell her the rest will be donated to some little kids who dont have any dolls. Then maybe 6 months down the road see if she would like to donate any more. At holidays and Christmas time remove a toy for each new on that they get. Toys clutter up fast and most will be forgotten about before they realize they are gone. Might be a job to do while DH takes the kids out for something fun?

Other stuff: I agree with all that PP have said, limit things to what you actually use monthly or bi monthly for large things. weekly for smaller things, you would be amazed at what you dont use. Numbers for things is also a great idea!! Donate and toss everything else, anything new or like new worth $100 or more I would attempt to sell on Craigslist, but if it doesnt sell the first week then just give it away.

Its hard, but you can do it!! Way easier to do now then after the move!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

You might be able to get your daughter to downsize her own toys. We play the "top ten" game here. Well, sometimes it's less than ten, like in the case of shirts. But here's what we do with the kids. Whatever we're trying to downsize, we lay out all of it on the floor. Then we ask our child, "If you could only keep one of these things, what would it be. What's your top, most favorite of them all?" Then we go down with second, third, fourth, and so on. When we get to the very end I always say, "So you're okay with the rest of these going away then, since they're not your favorites?" Sometimes one or two more get salvaged, but generally we stay within the ballpark of ten items. You could do that with your daughter's dolls. My 3 year old loves this game and asks to do it for just about anything he's got more than a reasonable number of. If we notice he's somehow got more than enough tees in his freshly folded laundry he wants to pull out all his tees and get it down to seven shirts (our selected maximum number). Sometimes he only ends up eliminating one or two, but he thinks it's a lot of fun. It's not always flawless, as the "top ten" Littlest Pet Shop toys my daughter had turned into the top nearly 30, but that was half of her collection, and she agreed to give away not only the other half of them, but also all of her fashion dolls in the process. It sometimes makes things easier. At least for me it did.

And I totally agree, get rid of as much as you can before the move. It'll be too easy to let it sit or whatever after. My advice, don't wait to sell things, just give it away. Honestly, this is coming from someone about to give about $1000 worth of dance costumes to a friend simply because I know if I say "I'll sell them so I don't lose the investment" I'll never find the time to sell them. If I just get it out of my house, out of my sight, it's gone, done and over with. Then I can put my focus to the next thing. I've found it's the quickest, most efficient way to downsize.
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #30
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the top ten thing. . And everything else everyone

I just listed an entire tub of cloth diaper stuff on free cycle. There is at least a few hundred dollars in that alone. But I cannot do FSOT any longer. Hopefully the serger will sell then the rest is charity. So far everything is fitting . I went insane minimalist two years ago and u thought I had really gotten away from it. I have but my initial pure is helping me so much. Photo albums are taking up a lot of room as is the kitchen small appliance thing bc my DH and I cannot come to terms with it. I want the crock lot gone he doesn't. I want the food saver gone he doesn't. I want to keep the mixer he doesn't and DD and DS have cried real crocodile years over the ice cream maker!!

I finally told DH, I'd try to downsize the kitchen w his requests but the sewing machine and server is going in this certain cabinet. My babies are not going in dusty basement. His crockpot and Foodsaver can but not my babies. I have nobody about the ice cream maker.....